• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Do I need to set up a new tunnel for each PC on my network?

Started by evanesce, May 25, 2011, 05:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evanesce

..or can I set up just one tunnel for all my computers.  I have a router that can forward ip protocol 41 and it works on just one computer.

cholzhauer

No, you just need one tunnel.  From there you can use Router Advertisements or DHCP to hand out addresses...no need to pass protocol 41 to those subsequent computers because they won't be doing any IPv4 to IPv6 translation

evanesce

my router is handing out ipv6 internal addresses but there is no ipv6 connectivity from those internal addresses.  Are you saying to configure the router to hand out valid ipv6 addresses instead of made up internal ones?

cholzhauer

I assume you're seeing FE80 addresses?  If that's the case, yes, you need to have your router hand out addresses from your routed /64 or pick a /64 from your /48 and use that range.

(If you are seeing FE80 address, your router isn't handing them out...the OS is setting them up)

evanesce

It's showing like this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:48e2:7c65:e472:e140:9187:4a95:ee9b
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:48e2:7c65:e472:41be:7b25:3d7f:b539
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e140:9187:4a95:ee9b%19
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.10
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::e291:f5ff:feb8:bd07%19

looks like some of the addresses are fe80 and others are not.

cholzhauer

The 2002 addresses are 6to4

From a command prompt, do a

netsh int ipv6 6to4 set state disabled

evanesce

the problem is when i have two computers connected with the same tunnel information, when i turn on one computer the other computer loses ipv6 connectivity.  this happens each time i set it up.

cholzhauer

Right, it will.

You only need one tunnel for two computers.

Lets say you have computer A and computer B

Computer A hosts the tunnel

Computer B is connected to computer B by a switch.

Computer A is configured to announce Router Advertisements and computer B is configured to accept router advertisements

Computer B automagically gets an IPv6 address and has IPv6 connectivity through Computer A.

evanesce

Perfect, and I have a server that's always on that can host the tunnel!  Do you know of a tutorial on how to set this up exactly?   These are all win7 workstations.  thanks!!

cholzhauer

What do you need help on setting up?  I assume you can get the tunnel working on whatever computer you want without any problems

These are directions a buddy of mine wrote up for Vista.  I'm pretty sure Win7 is very very close

You will obviously need to insert your IP addresses instead of using his addresses, and you will need to alter the IP address of the tunnel server if you're not using Chicago.  Look under your account for "routed /64" and use that address for your /64

Steps below were done in Vista.  Steps for Windows 7 might be a little different.

1.  Open Regedit, navigate to:             HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters

Add STRING value called 'DisabledComponents' and set its value to 0; Reboot
   Open the LAN adapter properties and open the IPv6 properties
   Manually add an address from this subnet: 2001:470:1f07:e9a::/64
   Keep the prefix at 64
   Add this gateway: 2001:470:1f06:e9a::1
   Add this DNS server: 2001:470:200::2 (this is one of HE's DNS servers)
   Click OK and OK to save the changes
   Open 'cmd' and type the following commands

netsh interface teredo set state disabled
   netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel IP6Tunnel <your local IP address> 209.51.161.14
   netsh interface ipv6 add address IP6Tunnel 2001:470:1f06:e9a::2
   netsh interface ipv6 add route ::/0 IP6Tunnel 2001:470:1f06:e9a::1

10.  Test IPv6 connectivity by pinging or opening a website like ipv6.google.com

Steps to configure host to act as IPv6 router

1.  In CMD type: netsh int ipv6 set interface IP6Tunnel forwarding=enabled

2.  Next, type: netsh int ipv6 set interface "Local Area Connection" forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled

3.  Next, add the first address of the routed IP address to the Local Area Connection

netsh int ipv6 add address "Local Area Connection" 2001:470:8:a0a::1

4.  Next, add the default route and next hop for the tunnel and Local Area Connection, then publish it:

netsh int ipv6 set route 2001:470:8:a0a::/64 "Local Area Connection" publish=yes

5.  Next, add the default route for the tunnel and publish it:

netsh interface ipv6 set route ::/0 IP6Tunnel 2001:470:7:a0a::1 publish=yes

evanesce

oh this is pure gold!  I will let you know the results of this! :)  thank you

evanesce

OK i'm already stumped.  The regedit section needs to go on all my client computers, or are ALL these commands for the tunnel host machine?

cholzhauer

Since it sounds like you already know how to set up the tunnel, do that like you normally have been

Then, follow the steps under "...IPv6 router..."

evanesce

ah, so once I establish ipv6 on my own on that workstation, I only follow the second half of those instructions. 

How do I get my other client workstations to grab one of these ipv6 addresses instead of grabbing an ipv6 that my router is handing out?

cholzhauer

How do I get my other client workstations to grab one of these ipv6 addresses instead of grabbing an ipv6 that my router is handing out?

Your router isn't handing out addresses...those 2002 addresses were configured by the OS.  (Check your router for 6to4 settings just to make sure...if found, disable)

Windows7 will automatically pick up the Router Advertisements and configure it's own address