• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

WRT54GL

Started by BobRobertson, February 10, 2010, 02:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobRobertson

Just got a WRT54GL because of its configurability and flashing to OpenWRT, etc.

However, before I flash the thing I want to get it to work so I can know it works before I muck with it too much and break something.

The WRT54GL v4.30.11 is listed as one that "passes protocol 41 out of the box".

Well, no, it's not. Was it meant that it would pass protocol 41 if the DMZ were turned on?

I do not wish to turn on the DMZ function, because the flood of unwanted packets when I do that brings my wifi to its knees.

So if there is some specific configuration that needs to be done, such as setting a port forward to the system inside, can someone tell me what it is? The port forwarding lists only UDP and TCP, not protocol 41.

broquea

I think these things also have Hardware Revisions as well as the firmware. I'll go dust off our wrt54gl and see which hardware rev it was.

jimb

It might just mean that it passes outbound proto 41 from behind the NAT.  Most routers/FWs can do it.

cholzhauer

I think these things also have Hardware Revisions as well as the firmware. I'll go dust off our wrt54gl and see which hardware rev it was.

Probably...every linksys I've seen has a hardware revision.

The WRT54GL v4.30.11 is listed as one that "passes protocol 41 out of the box".

Well, no, it's not. Was it meant that it would pass protocol 41 if the DMZ were turned on?

I'm pretty sure this is the case.  By default, all of your devices are behind the firewall, which means that nothing gets through without you asking for it. (web request, ect)

BobRobertson

Ok. Well, it's hardware version 1.1, which seems to be where development stopped around 2007 or so. At least I know that the documentation on OpenWRT and dd-wrt are going to be valid for this one, too.

Since the criteria is that protocol 41 gets passed using the DMZ, I'm going to submit the Belkin to the "out of the box" list.

Before I go through flashing this 54GL, is there a consensus as to whether OpenWRT or dd-wrt is generally more successful to configure? If I'm going to turn this into a real router, I might as well terminate the tunnel on the router and enable v6 for the entire LAN rather than have the tunnel terminate at my Debian system.

BobRobertson

Darn, forgot about this thread of I would have put everything here.

Anyway, dd-wrt is great, but in order to get IPv6 I would have to install their v26 which requires messing with just a bit too much of the guts to be comfortable.

As someone else said, dd-wrt turns a decent router into a great router. Anyone with a WRT54GL should immediately put dd-wrt on it.

design0211

The WRT54GL is technically a reissue of the version 4 WRT54G. Cisco was sued by the FSF copyright infringement, but the case was resolved.But it would be better to use newer version from http://www.linksysbycisco.com/APAC/en/home

areguly

Here's what I've used to configure DD-WRT v2.4sp2 on my WRT350n to pass traffic to my Sheeva PlugPC (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug) inside my LAN:

# inbound destination NAT for IPv6 tunnel
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i vlan2 -p 41 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.5
# inbound forwarding for IPv6 tunnel
iptables -t filter -I FORWARD -p 41 -d 192.168.1.5 -j ACCEPT

You should be able to do the same on any DD-WRT flashed router, just adjust the interface name (mine was vlan2), and your inside host.

You can make it permanent by pasting it on the Commands tab, there's a save firewall button.

I highly recommend SheevaPlug for your tunnel broker.