• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Go Daddy (Registrar) now supporting IPv6 glue (on .com and .net only)

Started by snarked, August 01, 2008, 01:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarked

As of July 9, 2008.  Their info says that other TLDs will be added later.

.org, .info, and .name are not supported (I specifically checked for these) at this time.

Where NOT supported, there will be a red-circled-X next to IPv6 on the glue entry form.

teranmck

That is nice, but regardless I would not go with Go Daddy. See: http://nodaddy.com .

I personally use Joker (they have IPv6 glue).

Cheers,
Teran (sega01)

snarked

Every registrar has horror stories.  Larger organizations usually have more stories too.

Although the once tried to renew a service I had cancelled, all it took was a 2 minute phone call to fix everything.  That's the only problem I've had with them.  I use them only as a registrar - no web hosting or anything else.

However, as the largest (is that still true?) registrar, the information I started this thread with may affect the largest group of domain owners - and that's why I posted it.  Except for DNS itself, everything I have runs on my equipment - so no one is going to pull my plug out....  (My box is the primary DNS server, but the secondaries are third-party owned).

snarked

As of today, I note that GoDaddy (the largest registrar) has finally turned on IPv6 glue for .ORG.

I also checked .INFO and .NAME - but no go on those yet.

westbrook

How do you get them to add the glue records?  I emailed support and they kept trying to give me instructions about using their domain hosting tools to add AAAA records.  Took a few circles of conversation to get them to understand that I host my own DNS, I already have AAAA records, and I just need them to add the ipv6 glue.  Their email support reps ultimately said that ipv6 is not supported.  Cluebags.  I'm considering leaving GoDaddy, but for now they're my registrar, and I'd just like to add the glue.  Please advise how you got them to do it, if you did.

westbrook

Just a further followup.  When I pointed out that I was aware of the July 9, 2008 status, I was told that because they haven't "announced" support for ipv6 glue, it would not be available to me.

If anyone knows how to get past this rigmarole with them, I'd be very appreciative.

broquea

Sorry, in the middle of roasting fowl and prepping sides.

When I logged into Godaddy, I created host records for my nameservers. When you create the host records, if your domain is in a TLD with IPv6 glue support, and that Godaddy can handle, you'll see a green IPv6 check-mark. Then you can stick the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses you want associated with that host record, and Godaddy should accept it and send it up the pipe to the TLD nameservers.

For my other domain, I simply told it to use my other domain's already existing nameservers to be authoritative. So I have a .com using .net nameservers, and the .net nameservers themselves have the IPv6 glue host records in the TLD servers.

Happy Thanksgiving, or "Thursday" as other parts of the world refer to it :D

westbrook

Odd.  I have a domain in the .com TLD and I don't see a green checkmark when updating my custom nameservers.

broquea

Do you get a red checkmark?

Under "Host Summary" I clicked "edit" and on their panel to the right of "host name" is my green check mark.

westbrook

Maybe that's where I'm missing the linkage.  I go to "my domains", then click the domain in question, then click "name servers".  Nothing about "Host Summary" visible from there.

I appreciate the help, I think I'll get there, I just need a little more in the way of navigation tips on their site.  If you don't mind a little more nudging me, I'd be grateful.

By the way, their site is ridiculously object heavy and opens way too many new browser windows unncessarily.  But of course that's not strictly relevant :)

broquea

Quote from: westbrook on November 28, 2008, 03:54:14 PM
Maybe that's where I'm missing the linkage.  I go to "my domains", then click the domain in question, then click "name servers".  Nothing about "Host Summary" visible from there.

I appreciate the help, I think I'll get there, I just need a little more in the way of navigation tips on their site.  If you don't mind a little more nudging me, I'd be grateful.

By the way, their site is ridiculously object heavy and opens way too many new browser windows unncessarily.  But of course that's not strictly relevant :)

My steps are:

1) log in
2) click on "domain manager" on left
3) click on my domain I want to futz with
4) on that details page, in the lower left is "Host Summary" where i have 2 host records created for both my nameservers

At this point, if you don't have any entries, then perhaps you are pointing to nameservers outside of that domain (meaning not ns1.thatdomain.com)? I have 2 entries there for my nameservers.

Here are some terrible cropped screenshots, because I'm not good with images :)

snarked

For the host summary section of a particular domain, you may need to scroll down.

westbrook

cholzhauer

Just in case someone else finds this, I just tried adding Glue for a .US domain....US doesn't seem to have glue support yet

dpflug

They still don't support .us glue. >:( I've contacted them. Maybe I can get an estimate of when they will. I'm not holding my breath, though.