• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Email Testing help!!

Started by rromero, April 09, 2012, 12:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rromero

Hi,

I come with you because as stated before, all this "systems, DBs, Emails" engineer stuff is really new for me (Im more on routing, switching, IP Phones, and so).

Im having problems in configuring an email server for Windows 7 (yes, on laptop), I downloaded hMailServer, then I find out "I need a DB server!", I then did some research of what kind of SQL server software can be installed on my laptop, my idea: install a small software with small space (just for the space) on my laptop.

Then I found PostgreSQL would do the miracle but no, I did more research of "how to install a pg DB" (there is anything "for dummies" out there???), after some trying and configuring, I couldnt get the DB running, and of course the hMailServer is not working too.

Why hMailServer? I read it supports IPv6 and could be installed on Win 7.

My request: Im not lazy, Im very new at this, I dont own a server, only my laptop, if anyone can suggest me what sw or mail service I can work with, just point me and I will do the rest!!

Suggestions, comments will be very welcome!!

Best regards

Ramon romero

cholzhauer

Where did you read that hMailServer needs a database?  I run it as a backup for my exchange server and didn't need to install any sort of database...it "just works"

rromero

Googled it, I think it was on a wiki page. Several systems were compared on a "matrix" table.

I dont have access to any Exchange server.  :(

cholzhauer

I know others on here have used hMail for their tests and it's worked great

you can also use sendmail or any number of servers on linux.

broquea

Could virtualbox a linux machine under win7, make life a bit simpler :)

rromero

Linux over Windows 7? How is that possible?

broquea

Virtualization, been around since the late 90s ;)

rromero

Hi.

I thought I got my right configuration through hMailServer and then I run the test, first I got the error message "Didn't get expected welcome"

I read here and found something about entering new IP Ranges: I entered 2001::1 to 2001::ffff

I ran the test again, but stays on Step 3 "Schedule a test and we will email you your new User Code", the symbol go round and round... Whats wrong? Me?

Of course Im not receiving any e-mail.

On TCP/IP ports I added SMTP, POP3 and IMAP with IPv6 addressing: 2002:c999:5f33::c999:5f33 TCP/IP 25 for SMTP for example.

cholzhauer

You're using an address out of your routed /64, correct?

Domains and real IP addresses will let us help you more

rromero

Hi.

Yes, I posted real addresses, and valid ones, I purchased my domain at godaddy.com, everything should be ok on that side!

Regards,

cholzhauer

I can neither ping nor telnet your to mail server

broquea

Quote from: rromero on April 09, 2012, 07:34:43 PM
I read here and found something about entering new IP Ranges: I entered 2001::1 to 2001::ffff

Which post? Also did you randomly pick that range?

QuoteI ran the test again, but stays on Step 3 "Schedule a test and we will email you your new User Code", the symbol go round and round... Whats wrong? Me?

What email address was submitted?

QuoteOf course Im not receiving any e-mail.

On TCP/IP ports I added SMTP, POP3 and IMAP with IPv6 addressing: 2002:c999:5f33::c999:5f33 TCP/IP 25 for SMTP for example.

That IP isn't currently available (since it is a laptop, I assume it is off or in a different location), but when it was online, it wasn't listening on port 25.

rromero

Hi cholzhauer, please try again, should be running by now.

Thank you very much!!

Regards,

broquea

~$ telnet 2002:c999:5f33::c999:5f33 25
Trying 2002:c999:5f33::c999:5f33...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

rromero

Which post? Also did you randomly pick that range?

A post here at HE, http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=545.msg6976#msg6976, I randomly pick that range indeed.
What email address was submitted?
rromero@ramon-romero.com

That IP isn't currently available (since it is a laptop, I assume it is off or in a different location), but when it was online, it wasn't listening on port 25.

Thats the one Im using from my local config:
Tunnel adapter Reusable Microsoft 6To4 Adapter:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c999:5f33::c999:5f33
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301

Regards