• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Using 2 PC's with one IP6in4 tunnel through NAT device

Started by ravenstar, June 26, 2012, 10:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ravenstar

Hi

I have managed to successfully configure a 6in4 tunnel however I have a second PC that I want to be able to use the tunnel at the same time.

My Current setup - 2 PC's one desktop and one laptop, both running windows 7 connecting to the internet through a Virginmedia Superhub - combined Modem Router IPV4 only
I set up the first tunnel according to the configuration instructions and reserved the PC's IP address in the router setting IPV6Tunnel  to point to 192.168.0.2
Tested the setup and it worked fine.

I then set up the 2nd PC replacing the ::2 with ::3 but still pointing the route to the same ::1 address
The second PC was then able to access IPV6 but access via the first PC subsequently failed.

Can someone offer me any tips as to where I am going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Tim

cholzhauer

You don't need to configure a second tunnel; you need to tell the computer that hosts your tunnel to advertise IPv6 addresses to the rest of your network.  If you look on the forums, there are a bunch of posts.  Look for things like DHCPv6 and Router Advertisements (RA)

ravenstar

cholzhauer

This may help...was written for Vista but should work with 7

Steps below were done in Vista.  Steps for Windows 7 might be a little different.

1.  Open Regedit, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters

Add STRING value called 'DisabledComponents' and set its value to 0; Reboot
Open the LAN adapter properties and open the IPv6 properties
Manually add an address from this subnet: 2001:470:1f07:e9a::/64
Keep the prefix at 64
Add this gateway: 2001:470:1f06:e9a::1
Add this DNS server: 2001:470:200::2 (this is one of HE's DNS servers)
Click OK and OK to save the changes
Open 'cmd' and type the following commands

netsh interface teredo set state disabled
netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel IP6Tunnel <your local IP address> 216.66.22.2
netsh interface ipv6 add address IP6Tunnel 2001:470:1f06:e9a::2
netsh interface ipv6 add route ::/0 IP6Tunnel 2001:470:1f06:e9a::1
10.  Test IPv6 connectivity by pinging or opening a website like ipv6.google.com

Steps to configure host to act as IPv6 router

1.  In CMD type: netsh int ipv6 set interface IP6Tunnel forwarding=enabled
2.  Next, type: netsh int ipv6 set interface "Local Area Connection" forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled
3.  Next, add the first address of the routed IP address to the Local Area Connection
netsh int ipv6 add address "Local Area Connection" 2001:470:db8:a0a::1
4.  Next, add the default route and next hop for the tunnel and Local Area Connection, then publish it:
netsh int ipv6 set route 2001:470:db8:a0a::/64 "Local Area Connection" publish=yes
5.  Next, add the default route for the tunnel and publish it:
netsh interface ipv6 set route ::/0 IP6Tunnel 2001:470:7:a0a::1 publish=yes

You'll need to use your routed /64 instead of the ranges listed

ravenstar

Hi Many thanks for the help, the above information was not quite enough to get me going, however it did provide enough of an insight to get me started.

TBH I don't think a followed it exactly and I didn't realise about the importance of the 2 different /64 ranges.

Looking at the regedit part I did some research into that and found that all the IPV6 elements are enabled by default.  Therefore DisabledComponents key is not required however if it is created it should be a DWORD value rather than a STRING.

The other thing I noticed was the HE DNS entry in the code had an extra 0 added, checked my tunnel details and I used 2001:470:20::2 instead

I did also find this thread
http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=1439.0

Which gave me clearer instructions and a step by step guide to setting up the route advertising, I still have not got all the kinks worked out however, though I do now have the laptops WLAN IPV6 configured manually to use one of the LAN side IPV6 values and use the desktop as a gateway, so now provided the desktop is running both computers score 10/10 on test-ipv6.com :)

Many thanks for your input :)

Tim

ravenstar

Just an update - appear to have this up and running now and working normally

Basically took the IPV6 back to scratch and started again then set up router advertising and added HE DNS to the WLAN of the laptop and the LAN of the desktop.
One thing I have noticed though is that the IPV6 status of the LAN on the Tunnel Box shows as no Network access - although it can ping and access sites quite happily. 
However, the IPV6 Status of the Laptop does shows as connected to internet.

Is there still something I am missing or is this normal behahiour for the Tunnel Box?

Thanks

Tim