• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

nameserver registration and IPv6

Started by kriteknetworks, May 04, 2008, 10:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drydog

For those who may care, I was able to add a IPv6 glue record (DNS nameserver record) for a .COM domain registered with Network Solutions today.

First I went into their web-based configuration tool. On the page where you enter IP addresses for name servers, there's this message:

Advanced Users: To specify your IPv6 name server address (IPv6 glue record),
e-mail us the domain name, the host name of the name server(s), and their
IPv6 address(es).

So, I emailed them, at IPv6Req (-at-) networksolutions (-dot-) com, yesterday evening and they added the glue the next morning.  This is verified with whois ns.drydog.com:
   Server Name: NS.DRYDOG.COM
   IP Address: 2001:470:C:2ED:20E:CFF:FE68:E4CC
   IP Address: 66.27.60.10
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com

Also, as many of you probably already know, the top-level hints file at ftp://rs.internic.net/domain/named.root (version 2008020400 has AAA glue records for A.ROOT-SERVERS.NEt and F, H, J, K, and M.  E.g.,
M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.      3600000      AAAA  2001:dc3::35

gawul00

I have a registrar to add to the doesn't work list.  I know it was asked which ones do work, but I figured I would let people know so they don't waste time trying to figure it out.

ZoneEdit.com (also known as registerapi) response when I asked about IPv6 glue and registering an IPv6 NS (they require registration of NS before adding to domain record):

QuoteResponse (Ryan B) - 02/09/2009 11:57 AM
Sorry, but there's no way of registering IPv6 with our company.

So at this time, ZoneEdit does not allow IPv6 only NS and no glue.

snarked

GKG.net accepted an IPv6 glue record into it's copy of the registry data for a .NAME domain even though the master registry doesn't yet support IPv6.  (.NAME doesn't even have IPv6 glue in the root zone for its TLD name servers.)

It sounds to me that's exactly what registrars should be doing - storing the glue records so that they may be turned on the instant the (master) registry supports it.

drydog

Quote from: gawul00 on February 09, 2009, 12:16:02 PM
I use ZoneEdit for secondary name servers, so they accept my AAAA records, and their web interface supports IPv6 AAA records (the "advanced" page on ZoneEdit).  But, as you say, their DNS servers have no IPv6 glue records.  It helps to make requests for such glue--I have done it and the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so so say.

IPv6 seems to be in the plans for the near future.  I received this email from them:

QuoteDate: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:14:06 +0000 (UTC)
To: zoneedit@drydog.com
Subject: The new ZoneEdit is coming!
We?re making some long-overdue improvements to ZoneEdit this fall. Our goal is to improve the interface and add functionality while maintaining the simplicity and ease-of-use that has made ZoneEdit popular. . . . Here?s what to expect in coming months: . . .
New Features
*  IPv6 Support
Hopefully, "IPv6 Support" includes IPv6 glue records, and not just the current ability to add AAAA records in their web interface.  As of today (Oct. 13), I see no IPv6 blue for their name servers.

Quotenslookup -q=aaaa ns1.zonedit.com
Server:         208.67.222.222
Address:        208.67.222.222#53
** server can't find ns1.zonedit.com: NXDOMAIN

Cloudmaster

Just catching up with all this IPv6 stuff.  You can add name.com to your list of registrars that support IPv6 glue

deesfantasyplace

Quote from: drydog on October 13, 2010, 10:41:16 AM
Quote from: gawul00 on February 09, 2009, 12:16:02 PM
I use ZoneEdit for secondary name servers, so they accept my AAAA records, and their web interface supports IPv6 AAA records (the "advanced" page on ZoneEdit).  But, as you say, their DNS servers have no IPv6 glue records.  It helps to make requests for such glue--I have done it and the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so so say.

IPv6 seems to be in the plans for the near future.  I received this email from them:

QuoteDate: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:14:06 +0000 (UTC)
To: zoneedit@drydog.com
Subject: The new ZoneEdit is coming!
We?re making some long-overdue improvements to ZoneEdit this fall. Our goal is to improve the interface and add functionality while maintaining the simplicity and ease-of-use that has made ZoneEdit popular. . . . Here?s what to expect in coming months: . . .
New Features
*  IPv6 Support
Hopefully, "IPv6 Support" includes IPv6 glue records, and not just the current ability to add AAAA records in their web interface.  As of today (Oct. 13), I see no IPv6 blue for their name servers.

Quotenslookup -q=aaaa ns1.zonedit.com
Server:         208.67.222.222
Address:        208.67.222.222#53
** server can't find ns1.zonedit.com: NXDOMAIN

I go this email today in response to asking for glue records to be added.

Case Comment(s) (if applicable):
No, the system managing domains is not IPv6 compatible.

So much for making big changes last fall.