• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

[Solved] Explorer Test - on Ubuntu Server 12.04

Started by marins82, October 04, 2012, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasperd

2001:470:6c:2cc::2 was responding to pings for about an hour, then it stopped responding again. No idea if that is due to how the NAT is behaving or if the tunnel was brought up for an hour and then brought down again.

kasperd

Quote from: marins82 on October 05, 2012, 01:25:15 AMif I install the desktop on ubuntu server, can I fix it?
Are you sure that's what you want to do? Why not instead install a router advertisement daemon such that the rest of your network can have IPv6?

marins82

Quote from: kasperd on October 05, 2012, 01:32:20 AM
Quote from: marins82 on October 05, 2012, 01:25:15 AMif I install the desktop on ubuntu server, can I fix it?
Are you sure that's what you want to do? Why not instead install a router advertisement daemon such that the rest of your network can have IPv6?

These instructions are correct, to put IPv6 in your network?

QuoteConfigure your Ubuntu box as a IPv6 router

Edit /etc/sysctl.conf

Uncomment the line which contains net.ipv6.conf.default.forwarding=1. This is a common step to enable IPv6 routing.

You can learn how to install and enable DHCPv6 on your network here.

Alternatively, if you want to use radvd which will advertise your prefix and let the network's systems select their own IP address:

Install radvd

sudo aptitude install radvd

Edit /etc/radvd.conf (see following sample)

Note: If the computer is only routing IPv6, then only uncomment net.ipv6.conf.default.forwarding=1 and leave the IPv4 stuff unchanged.

Note: /etc/radvd.conf: This file does not exist after a fresh install. You can look at the sample configuration files in usr/share/doc/radvd/examples/ for further studies.

Sample /etc/radvd.conf:

interface eth0
{
   AdvSendAdvert on;
   prefix 2001:xxxx:xxxx::/64
   {
        AdvOnLink on;
        AdvAutonomous on;
   };
};

eth0 is the interface which is used for the Router Advertising messages (RAs). If you are not sure about the interface, check with <tt>ip addr</tt> on the command line.

The prefix you have to take from the information given by SixXS or Hurricane Electric.

Restart the router advertising daemon to propagate your IPv6 address space

sudo /etc/init.d/radvd restart

Now router should automatically send "Router Advertising Messages" to your network and your IPv6 clients should auto configure them self.

kasperd

Quote from: marins82 on October 05, 2012, 10:04:05 AMThese instructions are correct, to put IPv6 in your network?
It looks correct. I noticed that you have IPv4 addresses on both eth0 and virbr0. I don't know if you need radvd to handle both of them or just one.

If you only need IPv6 on eth0 and not on virbr0, then you can just follow the instructions. The prefix to use in the configuration file is the routed prefix. The page with information about IP addresses for your tunnel contains both the tunnel endpoint addresses and the routed prefix, the digit which differs between them is highlighted.

If you do need IPv6 on both eth0 and vibr0, then you'll have to request a /48. But I guess you can finish the certification with IPv6 on just one of them.

marins82

In theory, I should use radvd to make use of ipv6 for the entire home network. What do you advise me to do? Thus, in addition to the server, all the pc benefit from ipv6.

kasperd

Quote from: marins82 on October 05, 2012, 11:33:59 PMWhat do you advise me to do?
Skip the DHCPv6 part. Setup radvd as described.

marins82

I installed radvd on the server by following the simple instructions, I radvd.com configured as follows:
Quoteinterface eth0
{
   AdvSendAdvert on;
   prefix 2001:470:6c:2cc::/64
   {
        AdvOnLink on;
        AdvAutonomous on;
   };
};

I rebooted and radvd works.
In the windows pc I installed ipv6 running the command: ipv6 install from cmd.
But in the test, not even pass this time. Maybe I should do something else?

marins82

I solved it by installing the xfce desktop on the server. Thanks for the help, you have been really nice!

kasperd

Quote from: marins82 on October 06, 2012, 04:49:32 AM
I installed radvd on the server by following the simple instructions, I radvd.com configured as follows:
Quoteinterface eth0
{
   AdvSendAdvert on;
   prefix 2001:470:6c:2cc::/64
   {
        AdvOnLink on;
        AdvAutonomous on;
   };
};
You are specifying the wrong prefix. That is the tunnel prefix. You need to use the routed prefix.