• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Time Capsule / Airport 7.6.3 firmware update

Started by kcochran, February 08, 2013, 07:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcochran

Looks like the existing configuration settings will not work with the 7.6.3 firmware.  If you have a working tunnel configured using an earlier firmware, it will likely not work with the new firmware.  Unless you need something in the 7.6.3 firmware, you may want to hold off until what they changed or expect has been determined.  If you have upgraded, you can use Airport Utility to revert to a previous firmware.  Instructions are available at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1218

cjkreklow

Just got bit by this!  Guess that's what I get for upgrading without looking at the forums first.

cpg

In the 7.6.1 firmware, there was a new field introduced in the tunnel setup - delegated prefix.

Did you ever put a value into that field?  I used the 'Routed 64' value.

When I upgraded to 7.6.3 my Hurricane tunnel still works but the default tunnel shows a 6to4 address that has nothing to do with my HE tunnel information.

Yet, all my computers get IPv6 addresses that are part of my /64 from Hurricane and I can ping my router's he ipv6 address.

So my tunnel works but the values displayed in the Airport utility are wacky.

Does this help anyone?

ddulay

I had to update my airport settings. My previous settings had been created using the older Airport Utility (5.6). I created the new settings using the 6.2 airport utility: Ineternet > Internet Options... Previously I had IPv6 Delegated Prefix blank and my Routed /64 as the IPv6 LAN Address. I had to change this so the IPV6 Delegated Prefix is the Routed /64, and the IPv6 LAN Address is the ::1 in the Routed /64. For example, my IPv6 Delegated Prefix is "2001:DB8::/64" and my IPV6 LAN Address is "2001:DB8::1".

The screenshot in the tunnelbroker.net example configurations will need to be updated.

cpg

@ddulay - this is what I had in the Airport IPv6 settings since 7.6.1.  Using Airport Utility 6.2 and firmware 7.6.1 the IPv6 WAN address shows my HE IPv6 WAN address.  The same settings on the Extreme using firmware 7.6.3 show an IPv6 WAN Address of some random 6to4 address.

Something is wrong with 7.6.3 and IPv6 in general or just the tunneling.

kcochran

Quote from: ddulay on February 09, 2013, 01:27:05 PM
I had to update my airport settings. My previous settings had been created using the older Airport Utility (5.6). I created the new settings using the 6.2 airport utility: Ineternet > Internet Options... Previously I had IPv6 Delegated Prefix blank and my Routed /64 as the IPv6 LAN Address. I had to change this so the IPV6 Delegated Prefix is the Routed /64, and the IPv6 LAN Address is the ::1 in the Routed /64. For example, my IPv6 Delegated Prefix is "2001:DB8::/64" and my IPV6 LAN Address is "2001:DB8::1".

The screenshot in the tunnelbroker.net example configurations will need to be updated.

I just tried that here, and no v6 worked after those settings either on AU6.2.  I wonder if there's something either funky with their firmware, or if it's behaving differently depending on the specific model, which shouldn't really make a difference.  Mine's a 3rd Gen.

Warthog

Saw this issue got picked up on Ars Technica this morning.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02/airport-extreme-update-breaks-ipv6-tunnels-but-heres-how-to-fix-it/#p3n

The article pretty much recaps what has been discussed / tried here, however for me it's working now if I put the routed /64 in the IPv6 Delegated Prefix field, and then the same thing in the IPv6 LAN Address with 1 on the end instead of the /64.

superpixel

The tunnel works for me with the new firmware and these settings:

ddulay

@cpg
Yes, your suggestion helped. Thanks. I had not looked at the IPv6 WAN Address, and it shows the 6to4 address matching my IPv4 address. I can't ping that address, so I doubt it is in use.

I have a 4th generation AEBS.

@superpixel
Yes, these are the working settings I have, too.

kcochran

To continue the weirdness, I tried updating a 4th gen AEBS with native, non-tunnel, IPv6.  After going to 7.6.3, no IPv6 love on the internal network.

So either there's something funky with the update, or some setting hiding is causing issues, or I just have the absolute worst luck in the world.  At least with the 4th gen, the delegated prefix doesn't zero out.

CUTLER719NET

I found the upgrade from 7.6.2 to 7.6.3 on a fifth generation Airport Extreme to be transparent for native IPv6 routing.   8)

I did have to re-enter tunnel settings per the Ars Technica article http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02/airport-extreme-update-breaks-ipv6-tunnels-but-heres-how-to-fix-it/ to make a tunnel work.  :P

Of course, the IPv6 experience gained with HE TunnelBroker over the past year or so made it easier to understand what was happening. 

Thank you very much, Hurricane Electric!  ;D

skippingrock

Quote from: kcochran on February 24, 2013, 09:24:45 AM
To continue the weirdness, I tried updating a 4th gen AEBS with native, non-tunnel, IPv6.  After going to 7.6.3, no IPv6 love on the internal network.

So either there's something funky with the update, or some setting hiding is causing issues, or I just have the absolute worst luck in the world.  At least with the 4th gen, the delegated prefix doesn't zero out.

Has this been figured out yet what exactly has to be done? I've downgraded back to 7.6.1 on my TC Gen 1 for now.
- Cheers and thanks.

kcochran

There are several threads on the Apple support forums about this topic, and there's been no reply back from them to any of the users seeing this issue.  Everyone there has had success just going back to 7.6.1.

brontide

I had been keeping around my old gig AirPort Extreme ( pre simultaneous dual band ) for the sleep proxy, but I finally unplugged it yesterday.  It was causing no end to grief on the internal network and bonjour, several of my hosts kept cycling up their names ... host bacame host-1, -2, -3 and the problem was it was breaking my shairport services.  It was also trashing the address space by making 169.225 for many hosts that were happy ipv6 internally.  This is not the same issue, but native ipv6 breakage set to native or link-local only on 7.6.1 or 7.6.3 it was causing grief.

alankuranov

Does anyone able to set up Airport Extreme with firmware 7.7.2 for IPv6?