• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

show routed 64 address instead ip6ftunnel address

Started by prietus, February 27, 2013, 05:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prietus

hi, using the router (cisco) for the tunneling works great. but if i set up the tunnel,  for example, in a windows machine, not in the router, the ip that is shown outside (i mean the internet) is the ip of the IP6Tunnel not the routed 64 address of the machine. ok, nothing to bother. but is there any way for showing my routed 64 address outside instead of the ip6tunnel? i have teste from a windows 8 machine. will try later in osx and linux.

kasperd

Quote from: prietus on February 27, 2013, 05:45:35 AMhi, using the router (cisco) for the tunneling works great. but if i set up the tunnel,  for example, in a windows machine, not in the router, the ip that is shown outside (i mean the internet) is the ip of the IP6Tunnel not the routed 64 address of the machine.
The proper way to configure it is to let the router be the endpoint of the tunnel. The router then need to be told the routed prefix as well, such that it can advertise that prefix to the LAN.

When configured that way, each host on the LAN will receive an IPv6 address from the routed prefix, and that IPv6 address is what will be visible to the outside world, when you communicate through the router.

If you instead configure a machine on the LAN to act as tunnel endpoint, then it is to be expected that the tunnel IP will show up, when that machine is communicating with hosts on the Internet.

Configuring multiple hosts on the LAN to be acting as tunnel endpoints is not what you are supposed to do. Depending on how the NAT in the router behaves, it may work partially, but it will never work properly.

Rather hosts on the LAN should be talking native IPv6 with the router. If you are running any recent OS, that means using the default network configuration on the computer should just work. The computer is not supposed to even know that there is tunnelling going on.

prietus