• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Problem with Win7 using tunnel

Started by dfrandin, December 18, 2013, 09:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfrandin

I've been trying to get a tunnelbroker ipv6 connection going for all of my systems. I have a Linksys router that has the iptables setting to pass proto 41 to a Linux machine that runs radvd, configured with my /64 block. This part works fine, as I'm able to ping6 ipv6.google.com. The problem is I am unable to get a Windows 7 machine to use the tunnel. An ipconfig /all shows I have an ipv6 address in my /64 block. I also see a "Temporary IPV6 Address" that is also in my /64 block. I assume I'm getting these from the radvd daemon on Linux. It also shows a default gateway of fe80::212:3fff:fe24:fe94%10. I would assume that the default gateway in ipv6 is delivered by radvd, which, to my understanding is essentially equivalent to dhcp in ipv4. I played with this nearly a year ago, but other things kept me from persuing getting it working..
What am I doing wrong?? (attached a screenshot of ipconfig /all from the windows machine)

Dave

cholzhauer

Getting the tunnel working is the hard part...this should be easy.  You're right, the default gateway should be the address of your router...are you able to ping it?

What does "netstat -nr" show?

broquea

Paste some configs from the linux box acting as a router.

dfrandin

Here's the radvd.conf running on the Linux box...

interface eth0
{
  AdvSendAdvert on;
  prefix 2001:470:d:ce::/64
        {
   AdvOnLink on;
   AdvAutonomous on;
   AdvRouterAddr on;
  };
};

Here's what I have in the Linksys router (actually runs Tomato 1.28, and this is in the scripts/firewall...192.168.240.4 being the internal ip
of the Linux box running radvd)

iptables -t nat -A WANPREROUTING -p 41 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.240.4
iptables -A wanin -p 41 -d 192.168.240.4 -j ACCEPT

An ifconfig on the Linux box shows this:

he-ipv6   Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
         inet6 addr: 2001:470:c:fa::2/64 Scope:Global
         inet6 addr: fe80::c0a8:f004/128 Scope:Link
         UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
         RX packets:45101 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:31226 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
         RX bytes:63779811 (63.7 MB)  TX bytes:2993900 (2.9 MB)

I tried ping -6 2001:470:c:fa::2 which seems to be the ipv6 address of the Linux box... no joy
same with the Link address..

broquea

Is 2001:470:d:ce::1 configured on eth0? You need an ip out of the RA range configured on the interface. I'll assume IPv6 forwarding is enabled since I think RADVD doesn't fire up if forwarding is disabled.

dfrandin

Quote from: broquea on December 19, 2013, 10:53:32 AM
Is 2001:470:d:ce::1 configured on eth0? You need an ip out of the RA range configured on the interface. I'll assume IPv6 forwarding is enabled since I think RADVD doesn't fire up if forwarding is disabled.

I don't know.. Not sure what you mean by "RA".. I certainly don't see that address in the ifconfig I did earlier.. The Linux end of the tunneling setup was done according to the Linux-Route2 Example given on the "tunnel details" page..

modprobe ipv6
ip tunnel add he-ipv6 mode sit remote 66.220.18.42 local XX.XXX.XXX.XXX ttl 255 (I changed the "local" address, which was my public ip4 address to the ip4 address of the Linux machine)
ip link set he-ipv6 up
ip addr add 2001:470:c:fa::2/64 dev he-ipv6
ip route add ::/0 dev he-ipv6
ip -f inet6 addr

snarked

You don't know what an "RA" is,  yet you posted an "radvd.conf" file contents?  Big HINT there....

dfrandin

Quote from: snarked on December 19, 2013, 11:59:26 AM
You don't know what an "RA" is,  yet you posted an "radvd.conf" file contents?  Big HINT there....

Well excuse me.. I'm a novice at ipv6, which is why I'm asking questions.. Hate to say it, but your handle fits you really well, snarked.. You are pretty snarky at beginners who
don't know as much as you.. All I know about radvd is it works kinda like dhcpd for ipv6, and does NOT mean I know all the ins/outs of it.. like what an "RA" is.. Please, leave the
snark at home, pretty please??

broquea

RA = router advertisement
RADVD = router advertisement daemon

Well, look at eth0 and if you dont have an ip from your routed range you are using, add the one i listed. see if that helps any.

dfrandin

Quote from: broquea on December 19, 2013, 01:47:03 PM
RA = router advertisement
RADVD = router advertisement daemon

Well, look at eth0 and if you dont have an ip from your routed range you are using, add the one i listed. see if that helps any.

<slaps_head_doh>
Ok.. I'm kinda slow today.. I added 2001:470:c:fa::1/64 to eth0 on the linux box, and set the default gateway on the windows box to that address.. a ping -6 ipv6.google.com returns the ipv6 address (so I guess the google ipv6 dns works from windows) but times out.. Tried adding
2001:470:c:fa::2/64 on the linux box, and pointing windows default gateway to that, same-o-same-o....

Thanks
Dave

cholzhauer

Does "ping 2001:470:c:fa::1" work from your Windows machine?

snarked

I'm not here to be obnoxious, but it's not up to us to hand you an answer.  You were pointed in a specific direction where your answer would be found.

broquea

Quote from: cholzhauer on December 19, 2013, 04:55:05 PM
Does "ping 2001:470:c:fa::1" work from your Windows machine?

I hope you meant "2001:470:d:fa::1", otherwise your tunnel won't even work if you used "2001:470:c:fa::1".

dfrandin

I've tried both "2001:470:d:fa::1" and "2001:470:c:fa::1". No joy.. I'm beginning to think this is a Windows problem, as I have a Linux laptop and it picks up an ipv6 address (and the -apparently- correct default gateway) from the radvd on the Linux server and alls well there.. Happens automatically.. I think I'm wasting my time bothering to *try* and get ipv6 on Windows, since the machine in question is dual-boot and runs Debian more often than not, and ipv6 works fine on there also.. Thanks for your help, everybody, but I think I'm gonna fold on this brain-dead Windows...

Dave

cholzhauer

You're obviously free to do what you want, but I have a whole enterprise of Windows XP/Vista/7/8 machines picking up IPv6 via RA, so it's not a specific issue to Windows.