• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Windows 8 "Metro Apps" Not Using Tunnel - Defaults to IPv4 Traffic

Started by slipnslide, March 08, 2014, 01:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slipnslide

I have successfully configured the HE.net IPv6 tunnel on Win8.0 and is working flawlessly with ipv6.google.com, youtube.com and netflix.com.
All sending data via IPv6 over the tunnel as shown in Win8's built-in "Resource Monitor" program.

However, when I try a Metro App, say Netflix, it only routes over IPv4 and doesn't make any IPv6 connections.

Has anyone encountered this or know how to fix it?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance! :)

Some things I have tried...
"netsh interface ipv6 show tcpstats"
Increments "Attempts Failed" when launching a Metro app.
No failures occur on IPv6 websites such as YouTube.

"netsh interface ipv6 show subinterfaces"
Bytes In/Out increment on the HE.net tunnel interface when launching a metro app. Activity on tunnel only happens at start-up of the app, as it uses IPv4 going forward.

http://test-ipv6.com/
Gives me a 9/10 score /w the error: "Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. ..."

kasperd

Quote from: slipnslide on March 08, 2014, 01:45:56 AMBytes In/Out increment on the HE.net tunnel interface when launching a metro app. Activity on tunnel only happens at start-up of the app, as it uses IPv4 going forward.
Possibly the application is measuring the reliability and/or performance of each protocol and then deciding to use IPv4 for as long as it keeps working. Does it switch to IPv6, if you temporarily block IPv4 packets?

ravenstar

While I don't exactly understand the full workings, Metro apps are sandboxed to some degree.  While they can indeed get internet connectivity, they can't get connectivity to all interfaces and servers running on the same machine.

A perfect example is the Mail App.  If I use thunderbird or another program on the Desktop, I can connect to a mailserver on my machine.  However if I use the Mail App it refuses to connect.
The Metro Version of IE explorer works in the same manner.

This Sandboxing can be ignored when building the app as far as I have been able to determine.  The Chrome Metro app for example does connect to test-ipv6.com over IPv6 whereas IE does not.

The Chrome Metro App also connects to a webserver running on my PC whereas the IE Metro app does not.

I currently know of no workaround for this.  Apart from trying your connections with Google Chrome in Windows 8 mode rather than IE.

Ravenstar68

Edit - The behaviour of the Mail App has changed since last I used it.  It does actually now connect to the local server but only on IPv4.  Likewise IE Metro App connects to the local machine using the IPv4 Address.