• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Factors affecting IPv6 geolocation

Started by evantkh, February 20, 2015, 11:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evantkh

When I lookup my IPv6 in my routed /64 and PTP /64 on db-ip.com, the location shows Hong Kong which is correct.
However, when I lookup my IPv6 in my routed /48, the location shows the United States which is incorrect.

What are the factors affecting IPv6 geolocation data?

kcochran

Really, how much the person generating the GeoIP data chooses to dig for their data, and how much they choose to trust ISP assignment information.  We supply information via rWHOIS on tunnel assignments, suitably anonymized, but retaining city/state/country data.  Now, if the GeoIP folks in question only pull information from SWIP and leave it there, they're going to be wrong.  If they go to rWHOIS from the information in the SWIP record, they should be pretty accurate.  If they choose to use their own heuristics, all bets are off.

evantkh

It seems that almost only Google services know my correct IP location.
Perhaps I have to wait for the updates.

kcochran

Google wrote a spec for ISP supplied geofeeds, which we do supply them with data using, so I'd hope they get it right.  :D

smanet

I'm having the same issue, but I can confirm that Google and their apps get the country wrong.
If I look into the connections of Gmail, the /48 location is reported as United States.
db-ip.com reports the right country, UK.
Obviously, my profile is up to date with UK as country.
I have checked by whois services and I saw it in place.
Is there anything else that I/you can check to solve this?
Thank you

evantkh

Quote from: smanet on February 22, 2015, 05:52:36 AM
I'm having the same issue, but I can confirm that Google and their apps get the country wrong.
If I look into the connections of Gmail, the /48 location is reported as United States.
db-ip.com reports the right country, UK.
Obviously, my profile is up to date with UK as country.
I have checked by whois services and I saw it in place.
Is there anything else that I/you can check to solve this?
Thank you

When I use Google services, my location detected by Google is correct.
However, when I am using Facebook, the 2-step verification thinks that I am in the US. In the security settings, the location is unknown.
When I am using cloudflare, the country becomes the US.<-- Seeing the variable passed to my server by cloudflare servers.

I reported to db-ip.com but still not fixed yet.

smanet

Hi evantkh,

This is very strange. If you use gmail, can you please check in the Recent activity, what country is reported there?

Thanks!

evantkh

Quote from: smanet on February 22, 2015, 06:19:25 AM
Hi evantkh,

This is very strange. If you use gmail, can you please check in the Recent activity, what country is reported there?

Thanks!

Hong Kong <-- correct for me
When I connect to www.google.com, I am redirected to www.google.com.hk. <-- Also correct
When I connect to YouTube, I see HK on the YouTube logo. <-- Also correct

smanet

Ok, then we are facing two very diferrent issues.

db-ip.com is right for me, but google, gmail and youtube keep me on the US websites.

I will wait for kcochran or someone from HE.net to provide more insight :)

Thank you evantkh

smanet

I have found a way to send a feedback to Google the IPV6 actual geo location: https://support.google.com/websearch/contact/ip.
I have used it with my assigned /48, /64 and Client side tunnel address.
Unfortunately they wont answer, however they should fix it in up to one month.. let's wait! :)
Special thank you for kcochran!