• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

IPv6 tunnel config, in windows 10 ver 10130.

Started by zwitterions, June 15, 2015, 06:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwitterions

Hello all!

Does anyone know the config options for setting up a tunnel in Window 10 ver trial 10130?

Any help would be great!

Regards..

cholzhauer

I'd imagine the same commands that you use for Vista/7/8 will work

zwitterions

Thanks for the reply, you would think so as well, but no, the same settings do not work..  again any help would be great, as you  must know help on win 10 insider pro is not in large quantities.

Regards

Andrew

cholzhauer

I'll try to help...what errors are you getting?

Lupo

It seems that in Windows 10 there is a new implementation of netsh.

I've been following the progress of the issue as well, as it completely hinders the ability to set up ipv6 tunnels..
As of the latest (10130 at the time of posting this) build, they fixed the crash that was present in the previous versions,
but it's just because now the command returns a "Not Implemented" error instead of executing and crashing.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel interface=IP6Tunnel 10.0.0.2 216.66.80.26
Not implemented

Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Lupo

Updating with some more testing on the new build 10162.

That command now returns this:
C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel interface=IP6Tunnel 10.0.0.2 216.66.80.26
The function attempted to use a name that is reserved for use by another transaction.

This was on a fresh install.

Each time the command is ran, it will create an additional interface in Device Manager -> Network Adapters, but none of them will work.
This bug is getting quite worrying, as the release date draws closer.

EDIT -
Well, this is embarassing, and really weird. I've been trying different things for a couple days before posting this message, and I always had the same result.
I tried -again- just as I was typing, to copy the error message..

And, well.. I tried again after posting.. it went through. It properly created the interface, and it works. I did not change any setting, nor any connected device or anything.
I did nothing different than 5 minutes ago. just deleted the broken interface in device manager, and tried adding v6v4tunnel again.

I'm not sure if it will work again if I try to remove it. If nobody is interested in proper troubleshooting, I'll just leave it there since having working ipv6 is more important to me
than mere personal curiosity.

PanicPaintbrush

I'm on the release version of Windows 10 and I'm getting the same errors. Does anyone know how to get it to work?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface teredo set state disabled
Ok.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel interface=IP6Tunnel 101.166.41.94 216.218.221.42
The function attempted to use a name that is reserved for use by another transaction.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv6 add address IP6Tunnel 2001:470:35:f5a::2
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv6 add route ::/0 IP6Tunnel 2001:470:35:f5a::1
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

iannet

Have the same issue on release build of Windows 10 ... has netsh functionality changed?

cholzhauer

If you run netsh in Win10, there's a warning that it might be pulled from future versions of Windows and that you should user PowerShell instead.

netsh>int
In future versions of Windows, Microsoft might remove the Netsh functionality
for TCP/IP.

Microsoft recommends that you transition to Windows PowerShell if you currently
use netsh to configure and manage TCP/IP.

Type Get-Command -Module NetTCPIP at the Windows PowerShell prompt to view
a list of commands to manage TCP/IP.

Visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=217627 for additional information
about PowerShell commands for TCP/IP.

Noetzel

Hello everyone,

I'm having the same issue with the same results (except mine has not gone through yet on it's own, :)).

I've tried in both the standard cmd line and in powershell, makes no difference.  Same "reserved" blah-blah and a disconnected media PTP interface is added.

Only on Windows 10, ;)

phedz

so yeah, the way I did it is replace add v6v4tunnel IP6Tunnel x.x.x.x x.x.x.x with add v6v4tunnel "Private" x.x.x.x x.x.x.x to get past the first error, then just replace the other two lines with "Private" instead of IP6Tunnel.

Happy IPv6'ing

Noetzel

phedz:  glad that worked for you!  I tried the same thing (substituting "Private" for the tunnel name) and, unfortunately, got the same result again.  :(

"The function attempted to use a name that is reserved for use by another transaction."  and the addition of a disconnected tunnel adapter local area connection* device.

I did successfully add the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 to use a SIXXS tunnel, but haven't been able to get that one to talk outside of the local machine yet.  I'd like to see if we can figure out the HE 6in4 solution, though.

iannet

After numerous tries using the "Private" method worked! I did nothing different, seems there is something wrong in Win10

One interesting point is that it seems Microsoft Edge does not support ipv6 ... at least it's using ipv4 and could not find any setting anywhere.

cholzhauer

One interesting point is that it seems Microsoft Edge does not support ipv6 ... at least it's using ipv4 and could not find any setting anywhere.

Not true.  Just tried it with a http://[ipv6address] and it works fine.

Noetzel

Actually having an intermittent issue like this is really not good.  Can't imagine what conditions might be that somehow repeated attempts finally works, hmmmm...

I've tried three different machines all with the distribution version of Win10 and probably 35 different attempts.  No go, same error and results.  Thinking an existing Local Area Connection might somehow interfere, I've deleted all interfaces, reset the stack and tried to install the 6in4 as the only interface.  Same result as before.

A stumper for me at this point.  Any help from anywhere would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance.  :)