• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

HE.net ipv6 tunnel not working behind NAT Router

Started by 10010, February 29, 2016, 04:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I configured my computer to use tunnelbroker for ipv6, as my ISP doesn't support it. However, for some reason, ipv6 only works when my computer is directly connected to the modem. As soon as I connect my computer to the router, ipv6 stops working. Port forwarding shouldn't be the issue, as my computer is in a DMZ. I should also note that my router is getting a globally-routable ipv4 address, so there is no double-NAT going on. Thanks.

cholzhauer

Port != protocol

What modem are you using?  Your router just may not support protocol 41..DMZ mode doesn't always matter.

I'm using a cheap consumer-grade router, the Netgear WNR1000v3. The modem I'm using is the Zoom 5341J. I was under the impression that DMZ mode automatically forwarded protocol 41, but it evidently doesn't. Do you know of any cheap consumer-grade routers that support protocol 41, or even better, have native support for an ipv6 tunnel at the router level? Thanks.

cholzhauer

I have an ASUS AC52U that supports tunnels...I've had no issues with it.

Some DMZ modes work, some don't.  I haven't seen any posts about it later, but there could be a number of causes for that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess at this point, it doesn't make much sense for me to invest in a new router just for ipv6, as virtually every website still has ipv4. Hopefully RCN adds ipv6 support fairly soon. I hope they do this before they run out of ipv4 addresses and put all of their customers behind CGN.