• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

[SPLIT] Latency Checker

Started by eonesixfour, April 16, 2008, 10:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eonesixfour

Quote from: broquea on April 16, 2008, 11:45:13 AMYes, it is only for turning up BGP tunnels.

Are you going to show latency stats for the tunnel servers connected, because on one of the other graphs it indicates there is 17 tunnels connected.

broquea

That updates on Fridays, although we might change it to daily.

eonesixfour

Quote from: broquea on April 16, 2008, 11:11:29 PM
That updates on Fridays, although we might change it to daily.

What's it actually measuring, I assumed it was tunnel end point pinging the remote end of tunnels setup on the server and then averaged over x hours, but if it only updates fridays, does that mean it averages over the whole week or?

broquea

Its just a 1 time measurement, not an average. It polls in the early am, and updates the values. Again, we're looking at changing it to daily rather than at the end of the week.

snarked

I'm wondering if it would be better if it did two pings, about a second apart, and record the time of the second ping.  That might be more representative of an RTT for a sustained connection, as we all know that a first (or first recent) ping might have other things like DNS lookups and/or statistics recording that needs to allocate a structure (as opposed to updating an existing one); delays that occur only on the first packet.

snarked

I've also noticed that HE performs one ping about every 30 seconds.  For those using dynamic IPv4 addresses that could change, I understand the rate.  However, some of us have static IPv4 addresses which don't need to be checked as often and are always there.

Could there be a backoff where if a tunnel's far endpoint has responded recently that the time between pings be increased (to a minimum of once per hour), and if any ping is not returned, then go back to 30 second intervals until it backs off again.  24 pings a day is nicer than 2,880/day (or 5.2MB/month of pings).

Also, currently, it looks as if the "top 20" fastest tunnels per server is broken - as no data seems to be reported.

broquea

Quote from: snarked on April 21, 2008, 12:05:19 AM
Also, currently, it looks as if the "top 20" fastest tunnels per server is broken - as no data seems to be reported.

This is being worked on, and should be repopulated by later this evening.