• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Can't get to Professional level

Started by lauj, November 15, 2009, 07:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimb

Quote from: lauj on November 15, 2009, 03:19:12 PM
Quote from: jimb on November 15, 2009, 01:23:58 PM
LOL.   I actually was wondering if that might be the case.  But there's no way for me to tell which one he was using without looking at his tunnel page.  I should have asked.

Is the last octet of the 3rd quad for client network is always odd, and the routed /64 even (since they're assigned in pairs)?  That'd be one way to tell quickly if that always holds true.

Also, I keep saying that HE should do something on the tunnel info page to highlight the differences between the two networks.  This mixing up of client/routed networks has happened a more than a few times.

I know this is a really stupid question but how did you get your badge to appear on your signature?
I have already tried editing my signature but it just displays HTML code.
[url=http://ipv6.he.net/certification/scoresheet.php?pass_name=jimb][img]http://ipv6.he.net/certification/create_badge.php?pass_name=jimb&badge=3[/img][/url]

You have to drill down a bit into the HTML code to see the proper URL for an img bbcode.

kcochran

Quote from: jimb on November 15, 2009, 03:46:21 PM
EDIT: In fact, I admit that when I set up the tunnel, I somehow "visually filtered" the routeable /64 on that page as being a repeat of the 6in4 tunnel address, and presumed that we weren't assigned a routable network until we requested a /48.  I just didn't look close enough at the headings, or examine the addresses close enough to see that they were actually different IPs.

EDIT2:  Looking at the page, I see that they actually are in their own sections.  Not sure if they were back when I set up my tunnel.

They had lines between each "section" in the past, but no section headers.  I'm hoping the labeling will help distinguish that there's something more than a mass of potentially redundant values listed in various spots.

jimb

Quote from: kcochran on November 15, 2009, 03:57:40 PM
Quote from: jimb on November 15, 2009, 03:46:21 PM
EDIT: In fact, I admit that when I set up the tunnel, I somehow "visually filtered" the routeable /64 on that page as being a repeat of the 6in4 tunnel address, and presumed that we weren't assigned a routable network until we requested a /48.  I just didn't look close enough at the headings, or examine the addresses close enough to see that they were actually different IPs.

EDIT2:  Looking at the page, I see that they actually are in their own sections.  Not sure if they were back when I set up my tunnel.

They had lines between each "section" in the past, but no section headers.  I'm hoping the labeling will help distinguish that there's something more than a mass of potentially redundant values listed in various spots.
Ah I see.  You may even want to make separate sections for the routed networks and rDNS.  Maybe that'd also help.

I think the main reason people sometimes don't spot this is because we tend to look more at the ends of the addresses, and not at the 3rd quad, where the difference exists, to differentiate them.  My tunnel address ends in "dc7::2/64", and my routed address ends in "dc7::/64".  So I think I was focusing on the addresses, and presuming that the "dc7::2/64" was the host address, and the "dc7::/64" was simply a listing of the tunnel network address.  Had I examined it more closely, I would have caught that the last byte of the 3rd quad was different.  Or, if I had looked left a bit and payed closer attention to the headings, I would have caught it too.  But for whatever reason, maybe 'cause I was in a rush, or because my mind was more focused on setting up the tunnel, I just "missed" the routed /64.

Anyway, there's a whole field of study and engineering dedicated to designing things like this called Human Factors Engineering.  A friend of mine does this for a living.  He tests, evaluates flight control systems for aircraft.  They often completely redesign displays, controls, panels, etc, which seem completely logical and adequate to the task, but turn out not to work well in practice because of human psychology and senses.  (e.g., "Human Factors")  :)

lauj

And especially what is the difference between an 8 and a 9 mixed up with a load of other numbers which are the same?  No wonder why I missed it.

kcochran

I've bolded the entire third section, so maybe that'll help in the future.

jimb

Ah.  I bet it will.  It drew my eye right to it immediately.  We'll see I guess.  Hopefully we'll see a reduction in these config errors (there's been a bunch since I've been on here).

lauj

Quote from: kcochran on November 18, 2009, 05:03:29 PM
I've bolded the entire third section, so maybe that'll help in the future.
I have noticed that so hopefully there won't be any more of these config errors by others.

snarked

RE Reply #19:  I was just about to suggest that.  How about also underlining the digit that is different?