• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Cisco 831 setup

Started by b1izzard, December 20, 2009, 08:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b1izzard

I have added the 'Cisco IOS' commands to my router and from the router I can ping IPv6.google.com successfully.  The problem is that I'm not sure what needs to be done to setup my 'Routed /64' for the internal clients to be able to ping ipv6.google.com.

1.  Is there a way to setup auto-configuration for the clients on the 831?  It has IOS 12.4(15)T11. 

2.  Do I need to create a static IPv6 route to go from the client IPv6 address to the 'Routed /64'?  If not, how does the 'Routed /64' come into play?

jimb

I believe if you put an IP of the routed /64 on the LAN interface of the Cisco, it will automatically start doing RA.  At least that's what I read in another thread.  Just put like <routed /64 prefix>::1/64 on the LAN interface.

No need to add routes.  HE has the /64 routed through your tunnel interface already.  RA will provide the IPv6 default route.

If you wind up having several subnets running IPv6, you'll have to request a routed /48 of course, then split /64s off that.  In that case you'd have to add statics if you have more than one core router every LAN is hooked to, and/or a separate tunnel router from where you're running the other subnets.

b1izzard

I got it working so that the clients can autoconfigure themselves and ping the internet.  I am having one minor problem though.  My Windows 2008 box loses the default gateway after a short period of time.  I see the default gateway listed on the interface Local Area Connection for both IPv6 and IPv4 and can ping the internet, but after several minutes (not sure how long), the gateway disappears from the interface and can no longer ping internet.  The IPv6 address is still there ok though.  I tried netsh int ipv6 reset and rebooted, but still same problem.

I have a Windows XP box connected to the same Cisco router that does not lose it's autoconfiguration, so it's seems like the Cisco configuration is ok.  So my question is:

- Do you know of a Cisco setting that forces a client to keep it's autoconfiguration, or is the default to keep it permanently?   Or perhaps my Windows 2008 connection is hosed?

jimb

If your XP boxes and your other windows hosts and the win2008 box are on the same subnet, and keeping the autoconfig info, then it should all work the same.  Perhaps there's some settings under netsh that you need to tweak on 2008?