• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

v6ns.org - IPv6 glue workaround

Started by tcuji, September 11, 2008, 02:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leenoux

my current registrar is also not suporting ipv6 glue record,Alex told me that i could use "out of ballywick" nameserver.where you
use other NS outside of your domain TLD at the registrar, as authoritative NS for the domain.

for example:
my previous ns are:

ns1.triplegate.net.id
host1.triplegate.net.id

both ns hosted at unsupported ipv6 glue registrar.and also those nameservers not ipv6 enabled.

i have domain at gkg.net registrar which is supporting for adding both ipv4/ipv6 glue record.i named it ns3.triplegate.com i put both ipv4/ipv6 glue record.

i added ns3.triplegate.com as authoritative ns(slave) for my domain TLD at my unsupported ipv6 glue registrar.now my authoritative ns are:

ns1.triplegate.net.id
host1.triplegate.net.id
ns3.triplegate.com

if there is native ipv6 query from others resolver for my domain TLD , ns3.triplegate.com will answer those query, since it has ipv6 glue record ,authoritative for my domain TLD(slave ns) and also ipv6 enabled.

#dig aaaa ns3.triplegate.com @a.gtld-servers.net +short
2001:470:19:13c::f

note: i'm sorry chaz6, i think i'm not connected to what you've said before.i thought you've had trouble with ipv6 glue record things.i've read again your post.you have problem with your registrar for not supporting ipv6 glue.that's my problem too untill now  ;D , i'm asking their technical support and got clueless answer hehehe...well, as long as there's workarround, it doesn't realy matter for me  ;)

chaz6

Quote from: leenoux on July 27, 2009, 05:53:01 PM
note: i'm sorry chaz6, i think i'm not connected to what you've said before.i thought you've had trouble with ipv6 glue record things.i've read again your post.you have problem with your registrar for not supporting ipv6 glue.that's my problem too untill now  ;D , i'm asking their technical support and got clueless answer hehehe...well, as long as there's workarround, it doesn't realy matter for me  ;)

In my case the registrar does not support out-of-bailiwick glue unless the glue is registered with the registry - it is not simply enough that the name resolves. Good luck with your registrar!

NewtonNet

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I felt obliged to given the circumstances...

Having waited for far too long for my registrar (Easyspace) to allow the insertion of IPv6 glue records into my parent domain I decided to work around the problem by purchasing another domain with a registrar I knew supported v6 and delegating at least one of my NS records to a name within its bailiwick... My domains would then have at least one delegation entry with a corresponding AAAA record for v6-only clients (and HE Sage certification! ;)).

So... I pondered what I wanted to call the domain and figured that I wanted a generic v6-related domain and having considered a few options I settled with v6ns.org. I bought the domain, set up BIND for it, arranged the secondaries and that was that.

Imagine my surprise (and confusion) when I immediately started getting repeated queries for records within the domain - not random or obvious inquisitive ones - but specific, clearly selected/chosen, sub-domains and records. I did some Googling for v6ns.org and found this post on this very board and panicked that maybe I was stepping on somebody's toes here..  :o

I've tried to get in touch with Tcuji but his/her registered e-mail address no longer appears to be valid (funnily enough, it's in a domain (a different one) that also no longer exists) and so I thought I ought to post here not only for Tcuji's benefit in case I've inadvertently taken over their domain (perhaps it was accidentally left to expire?) but also in case anyone was still relying on this domain for some of their glue. I've been unable to ascertain when the domain expired - my purchase has overwritten all the existing WhoIs info for it and searching for other info doesn't bring up much either.

Given my intention for the domain was to provide my own domain(s) with a means to support a v6-only pathway for DNS resolution I would of course, in the absence of a request to the contrary, be happy to do likewise for anyone else that might desire AAAA (and A if required) records pointing to their v6-enabled NS's, to which they can reference in their parent's delegation records without the need for them to enter IPv6 glue via their registrar. The zone is hosted on three v4/v6 dual-stacked nameservers based in the UK, France and USA.

Mathew