• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Best Domain Name Company?

Started by angelou, February 04, 2011, 10:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelou

Greetings All,

Well, I am currently a Domain Name customer of

EV1Servers.net ---> The Planet ---> SoftLayer (OpenSRS Reseller)

Well, they have changed a few names over the last 7 years, but alas I have about 20 domain names with them that are managed through a legacy system they still have up.  Sadly, over the last few upgrades it would seem the ability to create glue records has been removed.  I tried emailing and calling tech support and no one has a clue what the heck a glue record even is, and also can not get past the fact that I dont have a server hosted with them, and only domain names. 

Given the complete waste of time I think it is time to look for a new company to host my domain names.  So, the question goes out to all of you, what is a good company you have had success with.  Things of priority include good prices, no bs fees, no unresonable transfer restriction, and a good functional way to manage them...  Oh, and support for IPv6.

Yes, I could google to find some, but that does not really tell me how they are behind the scenes.  Any thoughts of recomendations would be appreciated. 

cconn

Quote from: angelou on February 04, 2011, 10:20:22 AM
Greetings All,

Well, I am currently a Domain Name customer of

EV1Servers.net ---> The Planet ---> SoftLayer (OpenSRS Reseller)

Well, they have changed a few names over the last 7 years, but alas I have about 20 domain names with them that are managed through a legacy system they still have up.  Sadly, over the last few upgrades it would seem the ability to create glue records has been removed.  I tried emailing and calling tech support and no one has a clue what the heck a glue record even is, and also can not get past the fact that I dont have a server hosted with them, and only domain names. 

Given the complete waste of time I think it is time to look for a new company to host my domain names.  So, the question goes out to all of you, what is a good company you have had success with.  Things of priority include good prices, no bs fees, no unresonable transfer restriction, and a good functional way to manage them...  Oh, and support for IPv6.

Yes, I could google to find some, but that does not really tell me how they are behind the scenes.  Any thoughts of recomendations would be appreciated. 

Hello,

Interesting since I just asked them about IPv6 glue records and within 15 minutes I had a email from them saying that regrettably for now IPv6 glue cannot be done automatically but it can be done via email for now and will soon have an interface.  As for IPv4 glue, I manage them through manage.opensrs.net under the nameservers tab (the glue is managed via the If you want to create or modify a nameserver which is based on XXXX.com click here) link.

That said, I wanted a domain name to do the sage test (*cough cough*) and I needed IPv6 glue for yesterday, so I didn't bother with OpenSRS and just registered a domain with Godaddy.  Glue works fine there, the interface to get there is _somewhat_ intuitive.

angelou

I used to be able to go in to the manage.opensrs.com site as well, but now it tells me my reseller account is not allowed to use that site any more.

angelou

When you asked about it, did you contact OpenSRS?  Or The Planet or whom ever the heck they are these days?

cconn

Quote from: angelou on February 04, 2011, 11:51:56 AM
When you asked about it, did you contact OpenSRS?  Or The Planet or whom ever the heck they are these days?

I am a opensrs reseller.  I contacted reseller.support@tucows.com.

angelou

I had looked at being a reseller once just for my personal domains since I have so many, just a buy in was high at the time, perhaps I will have to give it another look.

angelou

ccon:

If you do not mind me asking, what do you pay per domain on your reseller account?  I checked online and it seems they are at $10.95/year/domain at the moment.  I seem to remember them being smaller.

cconn

Quote from: angelou on February 05, 2011, 11:09:29 AM
ccon:

If you do not mind me asking, what do you pay per domain on your reseller account?  I checked online and it seems they are at $10.95/year/domain at the moment.  I seem to remember them being smaller.

I honestly have no clue  ;D  its not my department.  I will try and find out monday.  Any luck getting info on setting up glue, even if its manual?

angelou

Nothing yet, The Planet is useless.  I have emailed support at OpenSRS in hopes that they will be able to provide some assistance.  I did some checking around, and it would seem that eNom accounts for $8.50/domain/year can be had for $30/each and $8.95/domain/year ones for free from other resellers.  I kinda like OpenSRS in all, and would have to leave them, but for price I am starting to wonder about eNom, anyone have any ipv6 experience with them?