• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Advise on subnet

Started by mtepaske, October 01, 2008, 09:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtepaske

Hi,

I recently got myself a tunnel through he.net, and I just got it to work on a Linksys router running openwrt (kamikaze build 7.09). My outside interface is called 'eth0.1', which has a public IP address. My lan interface is called br-lan and I decided to call my tunnel interface 'he-ipv6'. As opposed to sixxs (which I believe uses /128's for both tunnelendpoints) he.net uses a /64. I'd like to use this subnet on my internal lan, as it seems ridicule to me to request another /48 (I only use IPv6 on two laptops).

So, my tunnel interface has 2001:470:xxxx:xxx::2/64, and I decided to give my lan interface 2001:470:xxxx:xxx::3/64. This seems to work, but now my tunnel interface is not accessible anymore. Even though that's not a big deal for me, I am in doubt whether this is the way to go.

So what do you guys think? Can I just configure radvd to distribute addresses 2001:470:xxxx:xxx::/64 on my lan, or should I request a seperate /48 after all?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

broquea

You should use the routed /64 we auto-allocate to you for your LAN. You can then use something like RADVD to let your hosts on the LAN autconfigure themselves.

mtepaske

Thanks for your reply.

It still didn't fix it for me, until a friend of mine notified me of the subtle difference between the /64 used for the tunnel endpoints and the /64 for my lan. I was under the impression that it was the same /64.

It is working now, so I can configure radvd and reverse dns. Thanks again for your quick response!