• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

ipv6 addy on more than one pc on same network

Started by htpctk, October 12, 2008, 06:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

htpctk

Hi i tried adding another computer to the tunnel broker, like I added the endpoint, then chose a different address than the other computer, but once i did that, the other computer stopped working with ipv6, i'm 100 percent positive it was a different ipv6 address too, is there a way to do it or anyhting special i have to do? i was using two different address's from the /64 "::2 and ::4" thanks!!!  8) ;D

kriteknetworks

Please provide details, like commands used etc

broquea

You mean like, you logged into tunnelbroker.net and changed your ipv4 endpoint to something different than the first working computer?

htpctk

i definately worded that wrong, i did the normal xp commands, but on a 2nd pc off my router, and it worked but the first  stopped working :(

i made sure it was a different ipv6 address too

i didnt do any special commands, just ipv6 install, and i copy and pasted the rest of the script and it worked, but then the first computer stopped working, any special reason why, or any insight?!?! thank ya :) :)

htpctk

QuoteMicrosoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\P4T>ipv6 install
Installing...
Succeeded.

C:\Documents and Settings\P4T>ipv6 rtu ::/0 2/::216.218.224.42 pub

C:\Documents and Settings\P4T>ipv6 adu 2/2001:470:1f0f:22a::6

C:\Documents and Settings\P4T>ping6 ipv6.google.com

Pinging ipv6.l.google.com [2001:4860:0:2001::68]
from 2001:470:1f0f:22a::65 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 2001:4860:0:2001::68:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

the old computer works fine, but now this computer does that?

broquea

The tunnel should only be turned up on a single machine.
Then that machine should provide addresses out of the ROUTED /64 allocation.
Those routed allocations are statically routed through the ::2 of the client's side of the /64 point-to-point allocation.
After doing that, your other machines on the LAN should auto-configure addresses.

How one sets up MS Windows to do that, I've no idea. Traditionally I use Linux or BSD machines for that role.

carrerasg

Setting up XP to work as a router can be done.  I ran one of my XP boxes like that for a while and, although it works, there are some problems with that configuration.  For example, I was never able to successfully run a firewall on that box.  Later, I was lucky enough to find a good deal on an old Cisco router and happily abandoned that idea.  If you for some reason have to go that route, I can try to put together some notes on how I had mine set up.  But I think you'd be happier with another option in the end.