• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

ISP blocks ICMP packets: IP unpingable

Started by dimc, May 16, 2008, 05:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dimc

For some reason my new isp blocks icmp packets, so my ip is not pingable and I can't update my ipv4 endpoint. the question is: in theory the tunnel could work forcing the ipv4 endpoint? any solution or i'm forced in changing ISP to use H.E.?

thanks a lot

snarked

In my opinion, NO ISP should be blocking ICMP packets as they are necessary to signal certain error conditions.  Now, it's possible that your ISP is blocking only the echo packets, in which case, you should tell them that you need those.

broquea

Quote from: dimc on May 16, 2008, 05:03:54 AM

For some reason my new isp blocks icmp packets, so my ip is not pingable and I can't update my ipv4 endpoint. the question is: in theory the tunnel could work forcing the ipv4 endpoint? any solution or i'm forced in changing ISP to use H.E.?

thanks a lot

Not certain what you mean by "forcing the ipv4 endpoint", however if you like you can tell your ISP that any ICMP should originate from 64.62.200.2 (tunnelbroker.net). Perhaps that would be enough to convince them for a simple exemption?

eonesixfour

Quote from: snarked on May 16, 2008, 02:37:47 PM
In my opinion, NO ISP should be blocking ICMP packets as they are necessary to signal certain error conditions.

Not only that but ICMP is needed for packet fragmentation to work properly, without this bad things happen and some people name and shame such companies for having poorly configured routers and/or firewalls.

dimc

Thanks to all. I think it is easier to change the ISP that the new one changes its network policy :(
However, no problem, they only lose a customer  ;)