• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Can anyone help with Configuring a tunnel under Microsoft Windows

Started by sirmonkeys, April 28, 2008, 10:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirmonkeys

when i go to enter the step
Quoteipv6 adu $ipv6b
i just get the usage help for ipv6,
any ideas?

broquea

Quote from: sirmonkeys on April 28, 2008, 10:14:02 PM
when i go to enter the step
Quoteipv6 adu $ipv6b
i just get the usage help for ipv6,
any ideas?

Because I missed copying a "2/" that goes before the IPv6 address on the client side. I've updated the example.

imcensored

unless im totally missing something, The only version of Windows 2000 that supports IPv6 is Service Pack 1.  using the "IPv6 Technology Preview"... Most Windows 2000 users have Service Pack 4, which the Technology Preview will not install on.

From Micro$$oft's website -- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ipv6/ipv6faq.mspx --
QuoteMicrosoft has no plans to provide supported IPv6 protocol implementations for Windows 2000, Windows 98, and older versions of Windows.

bairdvsix

It is possible to install the IPv6 Technology Preview in Windows 2000 SP4.  The directions come from Microsoft, but I can no longer find the page that provided them on the MSDN web site (the original source).  Here is a copy:

To install the Microsoft IPv6 Technology Preview for Windows 2000 on a computer running Windows 2000 and Service Pack 4, do the following:

1. Save the file tpipv6-001205.exe from the download page to a local folder (for example, C:\IPv6TP).
2. From the local folder (C:\IPv6TP), run Tpipv6-001205.exe and extract the files to the same location.
3. From the local folder (C:\IPv6TP), run Setup.exe -x and extract the files to a subfolder of the current folder (for example, C:\IPv6TP\files).
4. From the folder containing the extracted files (C:\IPv6TP\files), open the file Hotfix.inf in a text editor.
5. In the [Version] section of the Hotfix.inf file, change the line NTServicePackVersion=256 to NTServicePackVersion=1024 (768 for SP3), and then save changes.
6. From the folder containing the extracted files (C:\IPv6TP\files), run Hotfix.exe.
7. Restart the computer when prompted.
8. After the computer is restarted, continue installing the Microsoft IPv6 Technology Preview for Windows 2000 starting at step 3 of the "Installing the IPv6 Technology Preview for Windows 2000" section of either the Introduction to the Microsoft IPv6 Technology Preview for Windows 2000 or the Readme.htm file in the folder containing Setup.exe (C:\IPv6TP).

davygrvy

So far I've found one bug in the win2000 ipv6 preview.  Append the following to the above instructions:

5a. From the folder containing the extracted files (C:\IPv6TP\files), open wship6.dll in a hex editor.
5b. Go to offset $3D64 (15716 decimal) and change the string "ip6.int." to be "ip6.arpa.".  Make sure the editor is in overwrite/replace mode rather than insert mode.  There is plenty of room to modify the string.  This fixes a later change regarding reverse lookups.  See RFC3152

jimb

BTW, I think that the "netsh method" can also be used under XP.  At least on my XP Professional SP3 it can.  I had been using the netsh stuff to look at all the ipv6 settings before I found out about the "ipv6" commands.   :-[

(Note that I actually haven't tried establishing a tunnel using netsh on XP, since my tunnel is done on one of my Gentoo Linux boxes, but I presume it will work just like in Vista/2008 on XP since all the same commands exist and the syntax is the same, etc.)

comrad

The first time a can create a tunnel on windows vista. The second time it claims that the object already exists. I deleted the tunnel (maybe not completly??) but cannot ping anything. Could you please provide a proper delete script for the tunnel? My IP address changes every day and i need to adapt the created tunnel therefore.

nikkihobson08

I may sound totally stupid, but what command window am I supposed to copy and paste the configuration stuff for windows vista(tunnelbroker configuration codes)? Please be specific on how to get to the this command window and what I should do when I am there. Hope you can help.

jimb

command console

Start->Accessories->command prompt

Or just go to the run.. box, or the search box and type "cmd" for short. 

stealthaway

Folks some questions, In these config's, from the first post;

Legend of variables:
$ipv4a = tunnel server's IPv4 IP -- this is OK !
$ipv4b = user's IPv4 IP-- should this be my ISP v4 address or the DHCP address of my pc?
$ipv6a = tunnel server's side of point-to-point /64 allocation --- how do i know this?
$ipv6b = user's side of point-to-point /64 allocation -- how do i know this?

Appreciate your help,
Thanks

dataless

Quote from: stealthaway on August 01, 2009, 01:19:07 AM
Folks some questions, In these config's, from the first post;

Legend of variables:
$ipv4a = tunnel server's IPv4 IP -- this is OK !
$ipv4b = user's IPv4 IP-- should this be my ISP v4 address or the DHCP address of my pc?
$ipv6a = tunnel server's side of point-to-point /64 allocation --- how do i know this?
$ipv6b = user's side of point-to-point /64 allocation -- how do i know this?

Appreciate your help,
Thanks

When you are viewing your tunnel information at tunnelbroker.net, look at the bottom of the page where it says "Example OS Configurations (Windows, Linux, etc.)".  It has options for you to choose your OS and gives examples of what to type in.  Be sure and read exactly what it says about being behind an NAT router.

$ipv4b would be the IP address of your computer itself, if you are behind an NAT use your local address such as 192.168.1.100 or whatever.  Might be a good idea to make this static if you are going to put any services on it.

$ipv6a = "Server IPv6 address" on tunnel information page.
$ipv6b = "Client IPv6 address" on tunnel information page.

Ninho

Something is puzzling me : whereas the Vista setup makes use of all four variables, the set-up instructions for Win 2k uses only ipv4a and ipv6b.

What's the explanation ? Was Win 2k endowed with magic divination powers that Vista did not inherit ? - In Windows XP-SP1+, I believe both methods could be used (none tried by me). Would the tunnel be different in either scenario ? Which would be the best, given a choice ?

fwettlin

Windows XP IPv6 commands were replaced with netsh commands a while ago.
Microsoft Technet Article "Migrating IPv6.exe Commands to Netsh Command " (Aug 2002)
Link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726950.aspx

Ninho

Quote from: fwettlin on August 26, 2009, 10:52:13 AM
Windows XP IPv6 commands were replaced with netsh commands a while ago.

Is this a tentative reply to my question above, Fwettlin ? First, fact is the old style "ipv6" commands are still available alongside the newer "netsh interface ipv6".

I have yet to find an explanation why, using the latter, you have to specify explicitly two addresses that aren't required by the former method. The innerwards of Windows IPv6 settings aren't too well explained, are they ?

Regards...

sivaganesh

i get the following error.
"You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. If joining
a domain, go to System in Control Panel to change the computer name and try again.
If joining a workgroup, choose another workgroup name."
pls help...
A Born Blogger :P
My web world : www.hiswat.info