• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Is it possible to create a tunnel from inside a private lan? (no icmp pings...)

Started by lucagervasi, September 05, 2010, 01:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucagervasi

Hello everybody.

I moved to a new site, with new broadband connection at home. Now i have 10Mbit symmetric link, without public address (the providers uses private 10.x.y.z addresses for all the customers).

This means that i can't be pingable by anyone and my public ip is natted from a poll (it isn't always the same still in the same session).

Is there a way, in such conditions, to create and use a tunnel from my own pc ?

Thanks a lot.

(FYI, i'm using Fastweb Fiber in Milan)

Luca

cholzhauer

i think this has been asked before, and afaik the answer is no.

unfortunately, i think all of he's suff needs icmp.  there are other providers like sixxs and gogo6 that dont though.

cholzhauer

just had another idea...i'm not familiar with this, so i'm just going to throw it out there...what about pptp?

sysgeek

broquea

Can't get pptp from us until you can create a tunnel.
Can't get a tunnel if your globally routed IP doesn't respond on ICMP.
Can't get a tunnel if you don't have a valid non-rfc1918 IPv4 address.

You could use Teredo/Miredo to get IPv6 connectivity if you are behind an ISP CGN.

jimb

Looks like the pain from IPv4 shortages is starting to spread faster.  Maybe this will lead to more v6 adoption.

I suggest dropping this ISP and going for one which has IPv6 and public IPv4s.  :)

whfsdude

Quote from: broquea on September 05, 2010, 10:36:05 AM
You could use Teredo/Miredo to get IPv6 connectivity if you are behind an ISP CGN.

I'd really recommend a SixXS tunnel (AYIYA) for behind CGN. Other Teredo (HE's are great!) relays seem to be overwhelmed when it comes to throughput.