• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

help on classroom setup for IPv6 certification tests

Started by kcannon, November 17, 2010, 08:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcannon

I will be teaching an IPv6 Essentials class at a community college this spring semester. I want to incorporate the HE certification tests as part of the class. I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up the lab.

The college is using private addressing and VLANs. We do have some public IP addresses available. Am I to understand that the computer a student uses to complete the tests must be configured with an IPv4 public address?

Any suggestions on the domain name requirement?

Thanks,
Kelly

bombcar

Do you want them to setup the tunnel and everything? Because the easiest would be to make one machine a router and have it advertise the IPv6 prefix to the network. Then everyone gets an IPv6 address and can work on the remainder.

If you want, you can do some of the "grunt work" for the domain name. Register something like crappydomain.net (or get a domain for a penny on ebay, etc).

Then setup BIND and delegate subdomain1.crappydomain.net to each machine in the lap (one subdomain for each machine) - then they'd have to set that up and use that as their main domain for the certs.

kcannon

I would rather have it all setup for them. We don't have a lot of classroom time. I envision 2 hours lecture, 1 hour lab every week. I would like to incorporate the tests into the class. So, for example, once certain chapters have been covered, they would be tasked with becoming a NewB and so on. They would probably come in during an open lab session and sit at a computer and complete a test.

So really I only need one computer connected via IPv6 - the testing computer. My big concern is if the college network manager is going to object due to security concerns. I might be able to sell him on having just one machine. What is the easiest way to do that.

As far as weekly labs go, they will each have a laptop with 5 VMs that contain the IPv6 lab. Two routers, a Windows 2008 server, and two Win 7 clients. They start with IPv4, then dual, then IPv6 only. It's only virtual but I think it will prepare them for the real infrastructure.

Thanks for your help. I am a newb myself and learning this material just in time to teach it.
Kelly

kcannon

Well I'm up to Enthusiast level now and realize I can't set up the test environment for them because that's part of passing the tests. I'm having trouble letting the HE server grab a file from my web server so I'm still working on that. I'll go through all the tests then give the students hints on how to do it themselves.

cholzhauer

I'm with you; having them set everything up would be much more beneficial to them then you doing most of the grunt work.  If the university admin's have security concerns, you could ask them to give you a network segment that's firewalled off from everything else.