Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Poll

What do you use your IPv6 tunnel for?

Research for work
- 90 (30.9%)
Personal use
- 157 (54%)
IRC
- 5 (1.7%)
To see the dancing turtle!
- 21 (7.2%)
Other...(reply below)
- 18 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 284

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Usage Poll  (Read 30820 times)

plugwash

• View Profile
Re: Usage Poll
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 06:11:27 PM »

I deleted my tunnel as my current router seems to mangle the tunnel packets, it only works if I put my laptop directly behind the Cable Modem
Unfortunately the type of tunnel HE uses doesn't really work behind NAT. Some nats will work in some scenarios but it's not a setup I can reccomend. IMO you should either get a router that can terminate the tunnel on the router or get a tunnel provider that can be used from behind NAT (I use freenet6 myself)

Also, due to the way Apache works, individual SSL certs for hosted domains with name based virtual hosting is problematic.
It's not apache that is the problem, it's the design of SSL itself. They eventually added an extension called SNI to support name based virtual hosting but a significant proportion of web users still don't support it.

Still I expect SNI support to be ubiquitous within a few years. Pretty much the only significant browsers that don't support it are internet explorer on windows XP and the default browser on old versions of andriod. I expect both to fade away from the public internet over the next few years as consumers replace their hardware and corps either move away from a version that no longer gets security updates or at least stop using the shipped browser for general web browsing to reduce their exposure.

On the other hand I have serious doubts about ubiquitous IPv6 any time soon. In particular I discovered that windows7 will disable teredo support by default if it sees a domain controller on the local network (and apparently it thinks one of my linux boxes is a domain controller). So I expect clients on corporate networks to remain v4 only for a LONG time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]