• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Can't resolve site when tunnel enabled

Started by deadman3000, December 10, 2010, 04:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadman3000

Whenever I have my tunnel enabled from the command prompt in Win7 64 I cannot access www.tokyotosho.info. Or rather it takes AGES to load. If I delete the tunnel it loads instantly. AFAIK it's an IPv4 address so why it is interfering I do not know.

EDIT: I just pinged it with the tunnel enabled and it pings to 2001:67c:2a0:4::b00b:babe which seesm to be the problem. Going to try forcing it in hosts file. OK tested that and that works but I should not have to do that? Unless that URL exists on both IPv4 and 6?

cholzhauer

That domain does have both IPv6 and IPv4 addresses

[carl@mars ~]$ host www.tokyotosho.info
www.tokyotosho.info has address 194.14.0.37
www.tokyotosho.info has IPv6 address 2001:470:27:4f7::b00b:babe

Did you ever assign an IPv6 address to your local area connection?

EDIT:

I tried to pull up that site and it did take a while to load, but I don't think it was the "ages" that you described.  My IPv4 ping times to that site were really close to the IPv6 ping times, and that's not normal for me.  I usually see IPv4 ping times down under 50ms and IPv6 ping times over 220ms...these were both close to 250ms

deadman3000

I don't know if my routers support that (I traverse 2 routers). Most other sites run fine from what I can tell. I don't know hot setup my NIC for IPv6 addressing. I just use the IPv4 to IPv6 tunnel method from the command prompt. I don't know how to do much else nor understand all of it.

cholzhauer

You can assign a static IPv6 address the same way you assign a static IPv4 address (just choose the Ipv6 adapter instead)

Like I said though, that site seems to be slow regardless.

deadman3000

I tried setting the IPv6 address to static and rebooted but it made no difference. The site mentioned still takes agaes saying 'connecting' and then might load or timeout completely. If I set the hosts file to the IPv4 address the page loads instantly and completes fine. It's a LOT faster than connecting to this site too which is loading like treacle right now (Anyone else having slow access to tunnelbroker?).

Azendale

Quote from: deadman3000 on December 10, 2010, 04:43:35 PMEDIT: I just pinged it with the tunnel enabled and it pings to 2001:67c:2a0:4::b00b:babe which seesm to be the problem. Going to try forcing it in hosts file. OK tested that and that works but I should not have to do that? Unless that URL exists on both IPv4 and 6?
Did the ping work? If not, I bet that your tunnel isn't working, and your browser is trying to use IPv6 since it has an IPv6 address, but it times out (because you tunnel is not working). In the case of IPv4 sites, there's no IPv6 address for them, so it doesn't even try to send it through the tunnel (which would time out because it's not working).