• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

must ping comp with tunnel before connecting from others

Started by deathdonut, July 13, 2008, 06:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathdonut

My tunnel is set up and working using /etc/network/interfaces under debian. I also have radvd running, and forwarding enabled. On any other computer in the network though, I can only connect to an ipv6 site like ipv6.google.com after i have pinged the computer with the tunnel connection. ideas?

broquea

Probably need some sort of keepalive. Try using an IPv6 available NTP server, it will constantly check to update time, and keep activity going over IPv6.

deathdonut

the tunnel itself stays up - from the gateway machine it works fine - just from others it doesnt. I have taken to having a console open with ping6 -i 5 open when using ipv6, but its quite annoying.

broquea

Quote from: deathdonut on July 16, 2008, 01:25:38 PM
the tunnel itself stays up - from the gateway machine it works fine - just from others it doesnt. I have taken to having a console open with ping6 -i 5 open when using ipv6, but its quite annoying.

Yes, I figured you meant the machine behind the gateway. On that LAN client, have it use NTP as the keepalive rather than a window running a ping. Same effect, less annoying, and your time stays synched :D I can't think of any off the top of my head, but Google will probably know what is local to you.

We'll be working on updating our NTP devices to be dual-stack, and will let folks know when that is complete so they can use them.

elventear

I am having the same issue. Is this problem related to the tunnel itself? Or the routing table? Is there any other ways to solve this besides having this work around?

piojan

C:\Documents and Settings\pj>ntpq -6 -pcrv ipv6.bema.one.pl
Temporary failure in name resolution

I use ntpd from Meinberg for Windows and probably it is not fully ipv6 ready.
On a linux box I dosn't have any ntpd ipv6 problem.

CyberLine

Same Problem here. From the Tunnel host i have permanent ipv6 connection but on any client i need to ping the nexthop ip every 5 seconds or using ntp to be staying online with v6.

CyberLine

It is working for me now without Pinging.

I use the routed /64 net on the Internal side of my Router with radvd and every client gets an IP from it and could ping, surf or whatever with this.