• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

must tunnels be re-created?

Started by eve, December 21, 2010, 03:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eve

Does a tunnel 'die' if unused, and must I delete it to activate a new one?

Some weeks ago I set up a tunnel (through tunnelbroker) on a Mac (10.6), and did the first two certifications.
Then got busy, and have just got back to this.

At step 3 (ipv6 web server) I got "Could not grab the file via IPv6 HTTP " (yes I did put a random-code-test-grabber file where it needs to be).

Tunnelbroker reports there is still a tunnel set up for me.
I can ping6 my LAN, but no further - it seems I can't ping6 the router either.
Also netstat no longer reports {mybox}.ipv6.he.net.ntp   *.*  or {mytunnel}.ipv6.he.net.ntp   *.*

My web site is public-facing (for the moment), and not behind NAT. 

So must I re-do ipv6-activation on the Mac (ifconfig gif0 create, ifconfig gif0 tunnel, etc.) ? or will that create more problems?

I'd be grateful for suggestions.

cholzhauer

Not that I'm aware of, and certainly not after just a few weeks.

We need some more information to help though.

What's your domain? What's the link to the file that you're telling HE to grab?

Is your tunnel up?  If not, we need to start there first. 

eve

> What's your domain? What's the link to the file that you're telling HE to grab?

Unfortunately I will have to shut this server down shortly.
I should check with our central IT guys about our policies, & try again in January, & find another spare server to try this on.
(And re-do my certs, sigh...)

> Is your tunnel up?  If not, we need to start there first.

H.E. shows the tunnel still exists. But maybe that's not the same as 'up'.

Thanks for your time - meanwhile I will see what I can find out over the break.

broquea

If you didn't set up a way to keep the tunnel config on your server persistent, then yes you need to re-run the commands on your server. Otherwise the tunnel doesn't get removed on our side automatically.

allen4names

I think Mac OS is similar enough to Linux so that a script run in /etc/rc.local can configure your end of the tunnel and edit /etc/resolv.conf to have the following code.

# Modified by /etc/rc.local
nameserver 2001:470:20::2
nameserver 74.82.42.2

I am running Windows Vista right now so I can't confirm this until I boot Ubuntu 10.04.

EDIT

I am running Ubuntu now so heres the code.

#!/bin/sh
# Create and configure the IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnel
ip tunnel add he-ipv6 mode sit remote 216.218.226.238 local 192.168.0.64 ttl 255 # IPv4server=216.218.226.238 IPv4client=192.168.0.64 (Qwest Motorola 3347)
ip link set he-ipv6 up
ip addr add 2001:470:a:18f:0:5562:756e:7475/64 dev he-ipv6 # IPv6client=2001:470:a:18f:0:5562:756e:7475
ip route add ::/0 dev he-ipv6
# Delay execution for 5 seconds
sleep 5s
# Modify /etc/resolv.conf
echo "# Generated by /etc/rc.local">/etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 2001:470:20::2">>/etc/resolv.conf # Hurricane Electric name server
echo "nameserver 205.171.3.65">>/etc/resolv.conf # Qwest name server

exit 0

You will need to make changes of course.  Good luck.

eve

Quote from: broquea on December 21, 2010, 04:40:29 PM
If you didn't set up a way to keep the tunnel config on your server persistent, then yes you need to re-run the commands on your server. Otherwise the tunnel doesn't get removed on our side automatically.

Thanks,
The above suggests that the tunnel *will* be removed on the HE side if it *is* made persistent on my side. (?)
I was concerned that by re-creating the tunnel at my end, I would be setting up a second tunnel at HE.

Anyway, I went through the steps again, and found that the same tunnel was now working for me. No duplication problem.
I can reach out via ipv6 to the ipv6-enabled world, sort of - ping6, etc., work; some ipv6 web sites respond via certain browsers and not others.

I still did not get my ipv6 web server working, and begin to grasp that I may need the cooperation of the DNS meisters at my worksite, to make my web site visible via IPv6. (I am not running my own DNS server)
I'll get on with this after the break.
Thanks to all for your time & ideas.

broquea

That isn't what I wrote at all, why would we delete your tunnel if you are using it or making it persistent? You should be ok if your tunnel isn't up, we aren't deleting tunnels that are down, automatically.