• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

World IPv6 Day

Started by tsarna, January 19, 2011, 02:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsarna

I'm kind of surprised there's been no mention of this.

On June 8, Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Akamai, and Limelight (and hopefully others) will publish AAAA's for 24 hours:

http://isoc.org/wp/worldipv6day/

jimb

tsarna

Hmm. I searched before posting, and found nothing. No mention on potaroo.net or ipv4depletion.com, either.

Anyway, I hope additional companies and organizations can be convinced to participate. Wikipedia, perhaps, per the other thread. Hurricane is already publishing AAAA's, of course.

jimb

Actually I may be wrong.  I've read about it so many places, I thought one of 'em was here.  But I don't see it in recent topics.  :shug:

donbushway

I don't recall seeing it posted here. They did post references to it on there facebook page.

cholzhauer

snarked

In my opinion, they should be yelled at and shamed for not publishing their IPv6 addresses all the time like the rest of us do (even if it's only a 6to4 address).

Although I've only used native IPv6 for 3 years now, I had 4 prior years using 6to4:  7 years of IPv6 in all, and these organizations act as if it's something special?  WTF are they smoking or sniffing?

broquea

Bigger names like them get more press compared to everyone else that has been doing it for years. It isn't a bad thing; "no such thing as bad PR" and all that. Sadly it will probably be taken down rather than left up, and hopefully doesn't fall into obscurity.

For everyone else that has been up and running for years without specific hostnames/subdomains or whitelists, awesome job! Go enjoy that favorite frosty beverage you so deserve!

jimb

Heh.  The consulting company I work for coincidentally just announced an IPv6 symposium for our people.  :)

Mierdin

I saw this, and wondered if it was more than just a publicity thing - apparently they're testing dual stack and some of the problems some clients might have accessing content in that configuration. I couldn't really find anything more detailed than that. What problems are they anticipating clients to have?

cconn

Quote from: Mierdin on February 02, 2011, 12:24:37 PM
I saw this, and wondered if it was more than just a publicity thing - apparently they're testing dual stack and some of the problems some clients might have accessing content in that configuration. I couldn't really find anything more detailed than that. What problems are they anticipating clients to have?

it is a publicity thing.  Publicity for the need to get IPv6 up and running on the global Internet.  I am still looked at as a bit of a avant-gardist within the upper levels of management here because I am spending alot of time reading/testing/talking about IPv6.

As for problems, well, maybe teredo servers will get overwhelmed with traffic.  I hope to set one up for our network by then and avoid having customers seeking teredo all over the Internet.  I'm guessing some broken DNS servers might reply a AAAA record to a client that has no hope of reaching that IP.  I am sure smarter folks have come up with dozens of possible problematic scenarios.  The point I don't think is to test dual-stack, but to put IPv6 in the well-deserved limelight.

broquea

Teredo would only get overloaded if they took away the A record. 6to4 and Teredo lose out on usage when an A record is present.

Mierdin

Quote from: cconn on February 02, 2011, 12:31:31 PM
As for problems, well, maybe teredo servers will get overwhelmed with traffic.  I hope to set one up for our network by then and avoid having customers seeking teredo all over the Internet.  I'm guessing some broken DNS servers might reply a AAAA record to a client that has no hope of reaching that IP.  I am sure smarter folks have come up with dozens of possible problematic scenarios.  The point I don't think is to test dual-stack, but to put IPv6 in the well-deserved limelight.

I found something - as much as I dislike citing Wikipedia as a source :-[ :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_brokenness

It looks like this is a possible problem with dual-stacked internet presences, and hopefully they'll be able to overcome any problems on world v6 day.

trevorwarwick

Are the HE folk doing any special planning for IPv6 day - presumably the IPv6 traffic profile on that day through the tunnel infrastructure will be different enough to invalidate the usual capacity planning that they've done ?

broquea

We've been doing IPv6 day for several years now. Difference being on June 9th, we don't remove AAAA records. :)
If tunnel traffic goes up, awesome! We've planned for that from the start of deploying nodes.