• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Problem Setting up With Windows 7

Started by Dreyzzyn, January 30, 2011, 01:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreyzzyn

Think I've gotten moderately far but whenever i go to ping ipv6.google.com I get a general failure.  I am able to obtain the IP6 address of google, but not ping it. Cannot ping anywhere outside of my computer (can ping self, and IPv6 address assigned but not the ipv6 default gateway).

Ethernet adapter Cable:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:470:d:d89::5
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e0cf:e1f5:dfb3:2198%15
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2001:470:c:d89::1

Tunnel adapter IP6Tunnel:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:470:c:d89::2
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::28f7:d304:4188:b5a6%16
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2001:470:c:d89::1

netsh interface teredo set state disabled
netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel IP6Tunnel 192.168.1.2 66.220.18.42 (behind a nat so using local IP from router)
netsh interface ipv6 add address IP6Tunnel 2001:470:c:d89::2
netsh interface ipv6 add route ::/0 IP6Tunnel 2001:470:c:d89::1

Recently been using Sixxs but after a recent rebuild of my computer I have no longer been able to get sixxs to function properly.

Using an actiontec MI424WR that I set to forward ICMP (through remote administration) so thinking I have protocol 41 handled.  Wouldn't be able to setup a tunnel without having it not blocked, correct?

New to all this so any help is appreciated!

jimb

In a NAT situation, normally ICMP isn't forwarded, the router itself answers the PING (since it's what really "owns" the IP).  Although in the case of multiple public IPs, a whole IP is often forwarded to a single machine behind the NAT (including ICMP traffic).

Protocol 41 isn't ICMP.  Protocol 41 is IP protocol 41, ICMP is IP protocol 1.  Many consumer grade routers don't have the capability of statically forwarding an IP protocol to an inside host.  But typically they will forward the traffic if it's initiated from the inside.  So if a box behind the actiontec generates an IP proto 41 packet going to the HE 6in4 server, the FW will set up a connection table entry for it which will forward return traffic.  The trick is to keep this entry from timing out by keeping some sort of traffic flowing through 6in4.  Easiest way to do this is to ping the HE gateway's IPv6 address every two minutes or so (depending on your connection table TTL on your router, which is often undocumented).

Dreyzzyn

Alright gotta work on that.

Another problem I noticed is that when i'm setting up the IP6Tunnel (or using AICCU for sixxs) connection to these sites grinds to a halt. Soon as I disable the tunnel or turn of AICCU my normal connection speed returns.

Never had these problems 2 days ago but since I reinstalled everything I'm getting these strange problems.

jimb

Do you expect two tunnels to work simultaneously?

Dreyzzyn

no only using one. Just meant that when I got the sixxs sort of working everytime i try and access the sixxs site it am unable to connect to it. likewise when i try and get the HE tunnel going (i can ping their end) their website is inaccessible.

cholzhauer

Right, because your computer thinks it has IPv6 access and it really doesn't (your tunnel must not be up)  When you tell your computer it no longer has IPv6 access, it tries to connect over IPv4, which works as it's supposed to.