• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Sharing IPv6 across a VPN?

Started by jantypas2, February 02, 2011, 09:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jantypas2

I *THINK* this will work, but then again, I'm still learning IPv6, so a lot of what I think is _interesting_.....

I have my tunnel broker up and running with a /48 via my Mikrotik router.  Everything's working just fine and my local site has full IPv6 transit.  I have another location that I'd like to extend IPv6 to, using a piece of my /48.  However, that site just has a cable link and no static IP, so I can't just set up another tunnel.

Could I do this -- or do something better?

1. Create an L2TP/IPSEC VPN  -- this means that the other side now has access to my local LAN IPs
2. Run my OWN tunnel broker and expose say, :2/48 to them and let them set up a 6to4 over the VPN
3. Have them run their own radvd

Will this work, or have I just come up with a really bad way to solve the problem?

cconn

Quote from: jantypas2 on February 02, 2011, 09:57:54 AM
I *THINK* this will work, but then again, I'm still learning IPv6, so a lot of what I think is _interesting_.....

I have my tunnel broker up and running with a /48 via my Mikrotik router.  Everything's working just fine and my local site has full IPv6 transit.  I have another location that I'd like to extend IPv6 to, using a piece of my /48.  However, that site just has a cable link and no static IP, so I can't just set up another tunnel.

Could I do this -- or do something better?

1. Create an L2TP/IPSEC VPN  -- this means that the other side now has access to my local LAN IPs
2. Run my OWN tunnel broker and expose say, :2/48 to them and let them set up a 6to4 over the VPN
3. Have them run their own radvd

Will this work, or have I just come up with a really bad way to solve the problem?

why not just set up a ipv6 tunnel to the other site and route a /64 to it?

I don't know much about microtik config, but this seems to be what you are trying to do;

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:My_First_IPv6_Network

cholzhauer

Cable link as in a cable internet connection?  How often does your IP really change?  Maybe a handful of times per year?

jantypas2

True enough, but those changes become calls from a person at the other end.... I can live with it, but I'm just wondering if I can do it the "right way".

cholzhauer

You can set up your own "tunnelbroker" for that other place and route them a /64

You could also use a script that dynamically updates your HE account when /if your public IP changes