• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Are you using a DSL Connection??

Started by UltraZero, February 04, 2011, 08:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrocha

Quote from: broquea on February 14, 2011, 07:38:59 PM
6to4 is protocol 41 as well, perhaps you meant Teredo. Most likely it is something in the modem, and if it cannot be changed out, or but into a proper bypass, there isn't much that can be done on our end.

Yes, Teredo, of course. That's what I get for posting before dinner.

Quote from: UltraZero on February 14, 2011, 07:41:15 PM
Can I still use HE with those tunnel options?

No, our service is only 6in4 tunnels. If you can figure out the protocol41 issue, though, it sounds like everything else looks good.

broquea

Quote from: UltraZero on February 14, 2011, 07:41:15 PM
Can I still use HE with those tunnel options?

thanks

Seeing as we aren't sixxs or gogo6, no. While we do operate 6to4 and teredo relays, you cannot specify them for use. They work of the anycasted ranges for both services, and your provider might not prefer their announcements from our network.

UltraZero

Well, I guess I can put the modem into Bridge mode.  I was trying to stay away from that.  

(I don't know how to set it  up.) No problem.  I guess I'll have to work on a config on paper, transfer it over to another router to test, then implement.  If it doesn't work, Does anyone have any suggestions as to a router that is known to work??  Maybe something not a Dlink..I've had problem with the longevity of Dlink Products.

Thanks

UltraZero

Jrocha - I thought I could agree with ya, but, one of your co-workers  has DSL and he is running fine from home, so, if he can, then I figure either ATT is lying or they don't know their head from their pineapples.

(or they just don't know)

LOL..

antillie

If protocol 41 is being filtered by the modem itself then it may only be an issue with certain modem models. AT&T probably doesn't keep exact records of exactly what model they gave every single customer nor do they probably keep track of what models block or allow protocol 41. And I seriously doubt that protocol 41 support was high on AT&T's list of priorities when they sat down and decided what specific DSL modems they wanted to buy by the thousands for distribution to customers. I suspect that a cheap and crappy built in SPI firewall may be at fault here.

So it may simply be a question of weather or not you were lucky enough get a modem that doesn't block protocol 41. I think switching your modem to bridge mode is probably your best bet. Personally, I refuse to use any ISP that won't give me a publicly routable IP on the WAN interface of my router.

UltraZero

yeah. I understand.  I am wondering if I should pull an all nighter to try to figure if I can setup PPPoe on the Cisco.   This way, if I need to take the net down, it won't affect my wife.  The only problem I see is PPPoe wants no ip address on an interface and the same interface has ip DHCP on it.  I don't know how to get around this. 

If someone has a sample config with PPPoe and Nat on the same interface running their modem in bridge mode, I would appreciate it.  I think I got the router configured once, but, I know something was wrong because it wasn't performing the PPPoe function.  I think this is because of the ip address dhcp issue.

I'll keep searching for answers.. 

chenson

UltraZero,
        Bad news. I was going to flip the home DSL but instead I dumped AT&T and am flipping to Charter cable (12Mbps) this afternoon so I didn't do anything. I thought I would be at least a few months more on the DSL but Charter did a rate change and I'm gonna take advantage of it.

Good news. By coincidence, I am setting up a 6to4 tunnel in my lab at work. This will be to HE or another public provider and will be using AT&T DSL. The only difference is that the router will be a Cisco 2851 with a WIC-1-ADSL instead of a smaller router at home. The connection is only 1.5Mbps. It's just for playing around with but the concept is the same. I'm hoping to have it up and running in the next few hours. If so, I'll forward my config and results to the group. Give me till 10 or 11am CST. If I don't have it running, I have several resources at AT&T that I can't get some official answers from that might be better than the front line support.

Back in a few hours....
-CHenson-

chenson

Awesome. AT&T consumer DSL has informed me that they don't support IPv6/6to4/Teredo/anything. This is very interesting. I spoke with two different supervisors and got the same answer. What they couldn't clarify for me was what they meant.

CHenson "So, are you saying you don't support IPv6 as in you won't support the customer or are you saying you are blocking it somehow? These are two very different answers...."

AT&T "Yes."

I have reached out to our AT&T account team. We have a pretty big AT&T WAN and a pretty tight relationship. They may be able to at least give us a more solid answer. I don't see how/why this would be geographical but it could be. Just like commercial vs. consumer have different policies. It doesn't make sense but a lot of things don't make sense these days. I'll keep everyone posted.

Hopefully, I'll have my Charter CM tunnel up tonight or tomorrow....

-CHenson-

UltraZero

From what I gather with ATT, they treat the DSL as one entity.  Business and residential are treated the same except for residential customers get a dynamic IP and Businesses get static IPs. (And can request more)  Residential I think can request static IPs at lease at one time one could for an additional fee just like the business side. 

I didn't want to switch simply because I really like my existing setup and I don't want to have to put any more holes in the house for any reason.  Now, understand, I am looking to find out why the current connection works for some and not for others. 

I think I will research the modem more today to see what could be the issue.  If I can't find anything, then I guess I will be going to my favorite Eye candy store Frys Electronics for a new modem.  If that doesn't work, then, Cable, here I come..

I'd hate to make the change also because I have had the same Email since 1993.  I'd hate to loose it, but, Oh well.  Tradition, Progression..Hmmm. 

chenson

1. Are you able to ping or traceroute to 192.88.99.1? You should be able to.

2. If you hook up a WIN7 laptop (Or anything back to XP SP2 I think) directly to the modem do you (a) get your proper Internet IPv6 address and then (b) do you get a dynamically built IPv6 tunnel thanks to Microsoft?
-CHenson-

UltraZero

Yes. I can ping IPv4, but not IPv6..

I was doing testing with Win 7 some weeks ago and I still could not get IPv6 to ping.  IPv4 wasn't a problem. 

I'm actually looking in to a new modem as we speak. Fallback plan after the modem exchange is to go to cable.  I have a question.  Are  you looking at a dynamic IP address for cable or are you going to get a static address?

thanks

chenson

I was asking specifically about 192.88.99.1. That is the IPv4 anycast address of the 6to4 GW. So it will basically answer with your closest relay. Can you ping that address?

When you tested with Win7 previously do you remember if the dynamic 6to4 tunnel was established? Like in ipconfig /all?

I am planning on getting the dynamic address setup. Not paying extra for the static. Going out after lunch to pickup a docsis3 modem.
-CHenson-

UltraZero

yes. I can ping it.  Just did.

I still have the ipconfig /all let me look for it.

chenson

Interesting. You are better off than I am. I'm still waiting on the account team (shocker) for official word. I'm leaving early this afternoon. Tomorrow, I'll throw Win7 on a laptop and go straight to the DSL and see if I can see anything. I'm unable to ping that address which is kinda step 1 in the world of setting up your HE tunnel. I can't ping it from my laptop behind my PIX nor can I ping it directly from the router with the ADSL card. But I can ping other IPv4 addresses just fine. Frustrating. And yes, the inconsistency is adding to the frustration. It shouldn't be this hard. Debugging the IOS has not revealed anything local to be the issue.
-CHenson-

UltraZero

Is this what  you were asking for??

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : domain_not_set.invalid
  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection
  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-86-5D-6D
  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
  Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
  IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:470:xxx:xxx::2(Preferred)
  Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::xxx:8b1e:xcdc:a3ff%12(Preferred)
  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : xx.xx.xx.xx(Preferred)
  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
  Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 28, 2011 2:03:22 PM
  Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 28, 2011 2:43:22 PM
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 76.247.204.75
  DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
  DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 285215985
  DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-C7-94-68-00-0C-F1-86-5D-6D
  DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
  NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :