• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

plz help me i am unable to ping some of ipv6 addresses.

Started by zeeemughal, February 09, 2011, 04:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeeemughal

plz help me i have problem to ping some of my computers. I have three computers with windows 7 , two computers with windows server 2003, two computers with cent os 5 and one computer with with windows xp. All these computers connected with cisco 3550 multilayer switch. All these computers have ipv4 connectivity.  i configure tunnel on cisco 2811 router. that is working fine. i have a /64 subnet. all computers can ping ipv6.google.com except one linux system and two server 2003 systems. these three system can ping each others global scope ipv6 i assign them manually and also these system can ping there local link ipv6. other two windows 7 windows xp and one cent os system can ping each other and also ping any ipv6 ip. these four system are unable to ping other three systems local link ips. i assign them manully ips like    ff::1/64 ff::2/64 and so on for testing. but all time 4 systems can ping each other and three systems can ping each other.

cholzhauer

Yuck.

Going to need a bunch more information.  Draw a diagram and include IP addresses and post it.  Also, post a copy of all the routing tables.

antillie

Well ff::/8 is reserved for multicast addresses which are used for the IPv6 functional equivalent of ARP (among other things) so your static addresses might be stepping on some RFC toes there and confusing the OS. Linkage.

If you want to use internal only addresses on your LAN for testing things try and use addresses from the fc00::/7 range. This range is set aside for private networks and is roughly equivalent to RFC 1918 from IPv4.

zeeemughal

Pc1 ,pc2 ,pc3 ,and pc6  can ping each other with their local link ipv6 addresses and from those addresses i assign them manully fc00::/7

pc4 and pc5 can ping each other  with their local link ipv6 addresses and from those addresses i assign them manully fc00::/7

but these pcs can not ping each other. all these systemes are connected with same switch. all these systems have full ipv4 connectivity.

cholzhauer

I really don't know how any of the machines are able to ping google.com without a globally routable address

antillie

Are PCs 4 and 5 in a different VLAN from the others? If they are then you will need to place these hosts in different subnet from the others and configure the 3550 to perform IPv6 routing, which is not possible with an IP base feature set. So you will need to check and see what type of license you have installed on your layer 3 switch and ensure that it supports IPv6 routing.

Also despite what Cisco says IPv6 support on their switching platforms is spotty at best and buggy at worst. You might want to try using your 2811 or some other software based IOS router to route between the VLANs just to test things and see if it is an issue with the 3550 itself.

If you could post the running configuration of the 3550 and the 2811 it would be very helpful.

Edit: It looks like your 3550 may be out of luck when it comes to IPv6 support: http://www.ine.com/resources/ccie-3560-3550.htm

You should still be able to use the 3550 as a layer 2 device for IPv6 traffic though, you will just need to do all of the IPv6 routing and filtering on the 2811.

jimb

When using link local addresses you must also specify an interface.

zeeemughal

Quote from: antillie on February 11, 2011, 09:52:43 AM
Are PCs 4 and 5 in a different VLAN from the others? If they are then you will need to place these hosts in different subnet from the others and configure the 3550 to perform IPv6 routing, which is not possible with an IP base feature set. So you will need to check and see what type of license you have installed on your layer 3 switch and ensure that it supports IPv6 routing.

Also despite what Cisco says IPv6 support on their switching platforms is spotty at best and buggy at worst. You might want to try using your 2811 or some other software based IOS router to route between the VLANs just to test things and see if it is an issue with the 3550 itself.

If you could post the running configuration of the 3550 and the 2811 it would be very helpful.

Edit: It looks like your 3550 may be out of luck when it comes to IPv6 support: http://www.ine.com/resources/ccie-3560-3550.htm

You should still be able to use the 3550 as a layer 2 device for IPv6 traffic though, you will just need to do all of the IPv6 routing and filtering on the 2811.

oh thank you friend for your help. the real problem was symantic end point security. i uninstall that and every thing is working very well.

i was able to ping google.com but for testing i remove those ips