• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

I can haz multicast?

Started by elFarto, February 16, 2011, 02:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elFarto

Does HE have any plans to introduce multicast support?

Regards
elFarto

whfsdude

Mierdin

What kind of support are you looking for? Multicast to what?

elFarto

Quote from: Mierdin on February 21, 2011, 03:16:34 PM
What kind of support are you looking for? Multicast to what?
I would like to be able to join a multicast group, and start receiving traffic from it. I guess that means running PIM-SM. Hell, I'd settle for just having the embedded RP addresses work (as it seems they're the most workable at an internet scale).

Regards
elFarto

thermionic

I'd also be really interested in being able to receive multicast

broquea

No plans for multicast with tunnels as of yet.

baryluk

Quote from: broquea on March 03, 2011, 03:30:58 PM
No plans for multicast with tunnels as of yet.
Any changes on plans? Is multicast supported by HE core network actually (suppose I would buy multiple 10Mbps connections from you at multiple pops, will I have multicast availeble and multicast routing working between them, at least in your network, and maybe your few other direct peers)?

broquea

maestroevolution

Do the IPv4 and IPv6 internets currently route public multicast traffic today?  I was not aware that anyone did, especially between service providers.

If you wanted multicast traffic from yourself (Site A) to yourself (Site B), that's in the flavor of an MPLS VPN, and multicast within an L3 vrf has additional challenges to where they are not usually offered by default by service providers.

What do you want to do?  Stream video to yourself via multicast over IPv6 for educational/learning/fun?  Configure PIM with an IPv6 RP and watch everything work?

Anyone with a router and an IPv4 address can configure it as a tunnel server (assuming router supports 6-in-4 tunnels, of course, and doesn't have limits on combining features:multicast and 6-in-4 tunnels, for example).