• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

HE IPv6 Cert + CV/Resume

Started by mhamzahkhan, February 23, 2011, 08:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhamzahkhan

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone actually put the fact that they have been certified as a IPv6 sage by HE on their CV/Resume? :P
I was cleaning mine up, and I started wondering if it is worth putting on there.

Hamzah

cconn

I'd go as far as wearing the shirt around the office (hopefully the next batch will show up sooner than later...).  Management will likely be asking who HE is.  As for the cert, well, I personally found it interesting but in the industry I am not sure how a "sage" compares to a CCIE  :D  I am a "sage", but I have alot of work to do vis-a-vis learning IPv6 security concepts.

If you are cleaning your resumé, you should put IPv6 in there somewhere if its a skill you feel you have  8)

jschweitzer

i think at this point in IPv6's adoption, putting the HE cert on your resume isnt a bad thing.  you'd need to explain a bit that youre experienced w/ IPv6 in certain ways, then mention the cert.  i doubt anyone is going to know what HE is or their cert process.

cholzhauer

i doubt anyone is going to know what HE is or their cert process.

I think that depends.  HE is more than just a tunnelbroker, so if the place you're applying uses them for transit or colo, they may already be familiar with them.

If the job you're going for is a networking job where you'll be dealing with routing and address schemes, I don't see how adding this to your resume could hurt.  If anything, it'll be a topic of conversation that you can use to sell yourself.

mhamzahkhan

Hehe, I put it on my CV last week, and got an interview this week.

It did make a very interesting topic to talk about during the interview, but I think I'll remove it since, hopefully, within 3 months I'll be a CCNP soon anyway, so it'll be a bit redundant imo in a way. :)

Mierdin

Whether its a CCIE or Sage certification, the important thing to convey is that you're able to apply what you've learned. Putting the cert on the resume is fine, but for sure put that you have IPv6 skills in general - the cert becomes a natural talking point from there.

mleber

Just spotted this article:

Is your company at risk of an IPv6 brain drain?
http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=A2616AD1-1A64-6A71-CEDA3BF6F452DDC5

Notable quotes:

"A lot of people are sending me job opportunities in the IPv6 space," says Winters, who has more than 10 years of experience testing routers, firewalls and other network devices for compatibility with IPv6-related standards. Winters says the IPv6 hiring frenzy is the result of "a lot of companies rushing as fast as they can to get IPv6 deployed in their products."

"Network engineers with IPv6 skills are now boasting about them on their resumes. There's an interesting debate about whether it's worth listing IPv6 certifications on a resume on an online forum run by Hurricane Electric, which runs the world's most interconnected IPv6 backbone."

;)

snarked

I consider it as bragging rights and more of a novelty.  My university issued Master's degree is what really counts.... ;)

cconn

Quote from: snarked on March 07, 2011, 12:16:55 PM
I consider it as bragging rights and more of a novelty.  My university issued Master's degree is what really counts.... ;)

actually, my 15 years experience in IPv4 seems to be what people care about, not what is framed on the wall in my study ;)  I know more about frame-relay, UUCP and X.25 than I care to admit  8)

snarked

Experience to education is like comparing apples and oranges:  Not comparable.  What I compared is comparable.

cconn

Quote from: snarked on March 08, 2011, 11:22:44 AM
Experience to education is like comparing apples and oranges:  Not comparable.  What I compared is comparable.

a masters degree is comparable to a HE online cert?  :o 

and as it pertains to that news link, this is the thread they are talking about?  7 people within 9 posts have had a debate?  Some proportions are all out of whack here.  Clearly putting IPv6 _experience_ on your CV/resumé is a good idea.  But in fairness to the IT world, the HE certification is as you say, a novelty.  I am a "sage", but I also manage 3+ IPv6 BGP peerings, adding some weekly and I don't have any official certification to throw on my CV.  The words IPv6 and peering do appear  :D

snarked

Quotea masters degree is comparable to a HE online cert?
Both are documents that establish a certain level of education and/or performance, so in that sense, yes.  That doesn't mean they're equal; only comparable.