• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Quick Enthusiast Test Question

Started by SakuyaIzayoi, February 24, 2011, 08:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SakuyaIzayoi

I will be attempting the Enthusiast level test soon, and I have a quick question.

When the test requires the server to be accessed with a FQDN, does a DNS router service like DynDNS work, or does it actually need to be a purchased domain with it's own DNS service.

All answers appreciated, as I'm very new at this.

cholzhauer

Shouldn't matter..as long as example.com as an AAAA record, it should go through

jgeorge

Hmm. I use DynDNS and I don't think they support IPv6 yet by default. The problem is that the FQDN you give the test has to resolve to an AAAA record somewhere, and I don't think by default (and especially not on the "free" DynDNS service) that you can get that service from them.

Their static DNS service supports IPv6 but I can't find anything on their site that says they support it for their dynamic DNS service.

Their static DNS service requires that you have a domain that you can set up with them, and if that's the case you might as well use HE's free DNS service as it's a much nicer interface and easier (I think) to use.

Joe

jgeorge

That said, I have a domain I registered for testing IPv6 stuff, and if you just need a FQDN for the certification test I could set up a DNS entry in my domain to point to your IP until you were through with the certifications. I can't guarantee it'll be there forever but I could set it up long enough for you to actually have a FQDN for you to test with.

Joe

Mierdin

What I view as one of the easiest and cheapest ways to get started is to buy a cheapo ".info" domain from 1and1.com and tell it to use he.net's servers as authoritative for that domain (its in the settings). Then just use HE.NET's free DNS service to get your certs.

It's like 2 bucks or something insanely low to just get the domain, and all the configuration is done with he.net's DNS service once you set he.net's servers as the authoritative servers for that domain. Then its as simple as what's been said already, just make sure you create your AAAA records that point to the right addresses and you're all set.

The benefit to doing it this way is that you'll end up with your own domain that you can use (those $2 gets you that domain for a year).

broquea

100% totally doable that way.

The downside is you don't really benefit from learning how to configure software if someone does it all for you (regarding getting name servers listening and responding on IPv6).

I'd recommend learning how to complete the tasks on your own, its more of a learning experience, which is really at the core of the Certification Program.

Mierdin

Quote from: broquea on February 24, 2011, 07:09:41 PM
100% totally doable that way.

The downside is you don't really benefit from learning how to configure software if someone does it all for you (regarding getting name servers listening and responding on IPv6).

I'd recommend learning how to complete the tasks on your own, its more of a learning experience, which is really at the core of the Certification Program.

Of course - I wasn't suggesting anyone do the work for him - I always thought performing the configurations necessary for he.net certs within the free he.net dns service was well-aligned with the other information available through the multiple choice tests, etc. Obviously worth going through the problems on your own, you learn more that way.