• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Seriously, DHCP is really this hard?

Started by garywsmith, March 04, 2011, 10:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garywsmith

I've always prided myself on the ability to do things quickly and efficiently and when I can't I learn. My home network is fairly simple. A couple laptops, a couple desktops, and some vmware stuff. Now, I run a linux firewall which is routing IPV6 just fine through the tunnel.

I figured that it would be simple to just add IPV6. So I add static IPV6 to my laptop, tweak a couple firewall rules and I'm off. I can ping and surf like the best of them. So DHCP comes along, I assign a fairly large chunk of my /64 (I think I only excluded about about a billion addresses) and then did the standard ipconfig /renew on the workstations. I knew I wouldn't get the router as part of that, I just wanted to make sure. Indeed, workstations got the IP just fine. Adding static route, perfect.

So, I tried my hand at pure DHCP. I went the linux router first and tried the radvd. I shutoff the DHCP server on the network (the IPV6 block anyway) and the started radvd and to my amasement, nothing happend. So thinking that I'm an idiot, I re-added the IPV6 block to the windows dhcp server. So the workstations get the IP just fine but no route, even though radvd is still running.

Okay, radvd probably a bad choice if windows is running the dhcp. So I tried following other links to make my server advertise the route but it seems to fail as people like to cut and paste snippets and not complete solutions. 

Is there no simple way to configure static routes on DHCP (this is a rhetorical question for microsoft). So does anyone have some scripts, or a step by step guide that works?

kriteknetworks

You still need RA for the default route, dhcpd can hand out addresses.

radvd.conf:

AdvManagedFlag on;
AdvOtherConfigFlag on;

AdvAutonomous off;