• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

ip or ifconfig, which to use

Started by purplemecha, March 05, 2011, 12:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplemecha

I use Ubuntu 10.04 and don't know which to use.  I'm trying to set up my tunnel.  I followed this tutorials here at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IPv6#Get%20connected%20with%20Hurricane%20Electric

But I'm confused about the network manager gateway thing.  I don't see any gateway.  Keep in mind I use the 10.04 version.  The CLI version looks much simpler, but what to use.  ip or ifconfig.

ratcheer

Are you setting up your tunnel endpoint to a router or a single client host? I did it to a single client host at first, but I soon realized that the way to give IPv6 to all the nodes on my LAN was to end the tunnel at my router and advertise from there.

Either way, the ip commands are used, just as given on the HE page after you created your tunnel. If you terminate at your router, use the WAN address, but if you terminate at a single host, use that host's NAT address.

Tim

purplemecha

Single client host.  No router just my home computer which has a direct connection to the net.  I'll try the ip and if that don't work I'll try ifconfig.

purplemecha

Solved.  Works perfectly using the below.

modprobe ipv6
ip tunnel add he-ipv6 mode sit remote 72.52.104.74 local 174.44.178.56 ttl 255
ip link set he-ipv6 up
ip addr add 2001:470:1f04:1a82::2/64 dev he-ipv6
ip route add ::/0 dev he-ipv6
ip -f inet6 addr

snarked

Which to use?  I use both!

I bring up my real interfaces with ifconfig, and my virtual ones with ip.  It all depends on which parameters need to be specified when, which command supports what, etc....

I use ifconfig for my real interfaces because it allows me to bring up and assign IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in a single command.  I use ip for the virtual ones because it allows me to specify some extra things that ifconfig doesn't (like tunnel endpoints).

pijarista

Hi, I didnt want to start a new topic, I am using ifconfig to set my tunnel on Debian (Linux-net-tools option) and it works fine except the fact I dont know how to save this settings so its still there after restart. I tried google for an asnwer but couldnt find a solution.

snarked

You can't save the settings.  However, one can put the commands into a start-up script.

As to where to put (or append) such a script will depend on your distribution.