• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Multiple tunnels/auto routing

Started by jmv, March 30, 2011, 11:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmv

I have a functioning 6in4 tunnel behind a speedtouch 510 v4 nat.

Now I want one for each laptop. I tried to make a second one with hurricane electric. I get the error in quoted at the end. Now, I understant that it can't work from the same tunnel server. But it should be able to work from a different tunnel server, for instance not in amsterdam but in frankfurt, but he does not allow me to.

Is the only solution to use a different broker? Or is it possible to lift this restriction?

Or is it possible to do some kind of autorouting the ipv6 packets between two different laptops, even if they might be off at any time?

quote from he?

You currently have 1 of 5 allowed tunnels configured.

-----------quote from website---------------------------------------------------------------------
•If you are trying to reclaim a tunnel simply enter your last IPv4 address here. If you have any issues please email ipv6@he.net.
•If you have an official ASN and wish to setup a full BGP feed, please use this form instead.

broquea

If the laptops are all behind the same ipv4 endpoint, look at using RADVD or DHCPv6 with your routed /64.

You cannot have multiple tunnels to 1 IP, we require unique IPs per tunnel. If it is already in use, it isn't unique.

jmv

I don't know about the other solutions.

But it should be possible to use different tunnel servers with the same ip address. Do I need to subscribe to different tunnel providers to do what I want to do? Why?

jmv

For those other solutions, is there anything I can setup with win7 machines?
Remember, they might be off at any time.

broquea

Have a machine that isn't off. Otherwise no, if they are all off, then dhcpv6 or RADVD won't be of much use.

It is not possible to use different tunnel-servers to the same IPv4 address. I just explained about the whole unique thing.

jmv

But the uniqueness seems to be an artificial requirement, when using different tunneling servers.

Right now, the tunnel gets auto-directed to the machine which is using ipv6. But they can't use it simultaneously.

Having a machine on constantly is too much of a burden. IPv6 is not currently in real use yet.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

cholzhauer

Why not get a router that can host your tunnel?  Your router is on anyway, might as well put it to use

jmv

Buying a new router is the same answer:

Too much of a burden for something that is not in real use yet.

At some point, the ISP/modem manufacturer might provide new hardware or software for free. One of them was provided by the ISP, and I assume they will need to provide a solution at some point to connect to IPv6 only sites. I'm not optimistic though.

cholzhauer

Quote from: jmv on March 30, 2011, 12:13:23 PM
Too much of a burden for something that is not in real use yet.

Just curious...when does it become worth it?

jmv

Here?
- When there are IPv6-only services
- For free, p2p internet telephony
- For ip camera
- For personal residential file server

cconn

too much of a burden?  to purchase a decent router to benefit from free IPv6 connectivity?   ???  gee, spending 25$ to get a openwrt compatible router and learning how to set it up is worth more than 25$, ontop of which you get IPv6-capable routing for your network.  and independance from your ISP; if you wait for everything to be free you might just always be at the back of the bus...

jmv

Well, it's actually the network at my folks place. It's never as simple as you might think.

onley

Let's do the math......

Old PC from the back of the closet(Hasn't been turned on in years)
    A couple old NICs (Just gathering dust anyway)
    mOnOwall (Free)
+ he.net IPv6 Tunnel (Thank You HE)
    Killer router/firewall/DHCP server and a connection for all of your computers (When they're on) AND you will learn enough in the process to get yourself ahead of the rollout curve(So you're ready when it becomes, you know, worth it).

Mierdin

Quote from: onley on April 03, 2011, 12:44:42 AM
Let's do the math......

Old PC from the back of the closet(Hasn't been turned on in years)
    A couple old NICs (Just gathering dust anyway)
    mOnOwall (Free)
+ he.net IPv6 Tunnel (Thank You HE)
    Killer router/firewall/DHCP server and a connection for all of your computers (When they're on) AND you will learn enough in the process to get yourself ahead of the rollout curve(So you're ready when it becomes, you know, worth it).

The biggest value of implementing IPv6 in your home, then and even still is educating you about implementing the protocol. If the experience is valuable enough for you, do it. If not, don't. IMHO, the quoted poster is absolutely right - it doesn't take a lot of effort or money (my tunnel server is a cheap old thin client with a soldered hard drive), so if you have any interest in setting it up and learning, the means are there to do so.

If you're asking "Why do this" from the perspective of a consumer, the answer is no, you don't absolutely need it now. Not yet, anyways.

efjeldstrom

I set up an IPv6 router at my parent's house using an ancient laptop with Linux on it and used the main router's DMZ setting to expose it to the Internet.  HE needs the router in this configuration to establish the tunnel since PPTP is unavailable right now, but this setup allows me to only need one NIC on the IPv6 router.  Obviously you'll need some sort of firewall for this application (I'm just using a simple stateful one with a couple of exceptions), but I've had no problems with it.