• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

XP to Win7 64 tunnel. How?

Started by deadman3000, April 05, 2011, 05:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadman3000

I'm trying to setup XP so it can access my Windows 7 64 tunnel when run as a router using a guide on this forum. I think I have the Win7 side setup correctly so it advertises etc. But how do I get XP to use it? There does not appear to be instructions in that article that tells me how to set XP to use the Win7 machine as the IPv6 router.

jimb

If you have your Win7 box set up as a router and doing RA to the LAN for your routed /64, you should just be able to install IPv6 on the XP box and it should start working.

If you're not doing RA, you can just set an IPv6 address on the XP box and point the default gateway to the LAN IPv6 address (can be the link-local) of the Win7 box.

You may need to do some firewall tweakage on the win7 box.

deadman3000

Is there no dummies guide to doing this? I can use the tunnel on my local Win7 machine but can't use the tunnel with XP or my Win7 laptop.

BTW I can't ping the IPv6 address of the Win7 PC with the working tunnel either.

jimb

I'm not really a windows guy, but somewhere on this board someone put up a step-by-step guide to doing it basically.  You'll have to find the thread though.

Basically, you have to use a bunch of netsh int ipv6 commands to turn on things like RA, ip forwarding, etc.

cholzhauer

What do you want a guide on?  Like Jimb said, if you're doing RA on your windows7 machine, all you have to do on XP is a

netsh ipv6 install

(or something close to that)

If you want help setting up RA on windows7, try this guide one of my buddies drew up.  YMMV

Steps below were done in Vista.  Steps for Windows 7 might be a little different.

1.  Open Regedit, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters
Add STRING value called 'DisabledComponents' and set its value to 0; Reboot
Open the LAN adapter properties and open the IPv6 properties
Manually add an address from this subnet: 2001:470:1f07:e9a::/64
Keep the prefix at 64
Add this gateway: 2001:470:1f06:e9a::1
Add this DNS server: 2001:470:200::2 (this is one of HE's DNS servers)
Click OK and OK to save the changes
Open 'cmd' and type the following commands
netsh interface teredo set state disabled
netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel IP6Tunnel <your local IP address> 209.51.161.14
netsh interface ipv6 add address IP6Tunnel 2001:470:1f06:e9a::2
netsh interface ipv6 add route ::/0 IP6Tunnel 2001:470:1f06:e9a::1

10.  Test IPv6 connectivity by pinging or opening a website like ipv6.google.com

Steps to configure host to act as IPv6 router

1.  In CMD type: netsh int ipv6 set interface IP6Tunnel forwarding=enabled
2.  Next, type: netsh int ipv6 set interface "Local Area Connection" forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled
3.  Next, add the first address of the routed IP address to the Local Area Connection
netsh int ipv6 add address "Local Area Connection" 2001:470:8:a0a::1
4.  Next, add the default route and next hop for the tunnel and Local Area Connection, then publish it:
netsh int ipv6 set route 2001:470:8:a0a::/64 "Local Area Connection" publish=yes
5.  Next, add the default route for the tunnel and publish it:
netsh interface ipv6 set route ::/0 IP6Tunnel 2001:470:7:a0a::1 publish=yes

Also, take a look at this post

http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=1439