• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

IPv4 depletion parties

Started by sput, May 03, 2011, 04:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sput

Hi there

Quote from: kasperd on September 14, 2012, 08:43:40 AM
Quote from: sput on September 14, 2012, 08:25:53 AMRIPE just depleted
That surprise me. I was expecting them to last half a week more. Did somebody submit a legitimate request for a /12 or did a lot of people realize they'd better hurry up and submit requests while there were still addresses to be had?

There where some large allocations to the middle east. Iran, if I remember correctly.

Our party has a (Dutch) facebook page;
http://www.facebook.com/events/197537177045752

/. has always been hostile towards IPv6. This applies both to the guy who runs it, and most of those who submit comments;
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/09/14/1426232/ripe-region-runs-out-of-ipv4-addresses
Their attitude is a complete mystery to me.

Regards,
Rob

kasperd

Quote from: sput on September 16, 2012, 03:53:09 AM/. has always been hostile towards IPv6. This applies both to the guy who runs it, and most of those who submit comments
You'd have expected a site of that kind to be an early adopter of IPv6, but it was not. Seems they haven't even started thinking about IPv6. But it takes just one stupid person in a position to make decisions, in order to stop a site from moving to IPv6.

I think most of the people posting there don't know much about what they are talking about, but that never stopped anybody from having an opinion. But there is also many sensible people posting there, such as those who know the limits of their own knowledge and those who actually know, what they are talking about.

The problem is those people who have a strong opinion and won't accept that they could be mistaken. I'm not sure how large a fraction of the users, those make up.

There is also the entire Stockholm syndrome thing, some people actually think NAT is a good idea and the lack of NAT in IPv6 is a problem.