• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

IPv6 IGP Routing protocols

Started by jimb, May 05, 2011, 01:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimb

I'm curious what IGPs people are running out there in dual-stack land.  What is HE using for an IGP?

The only real choices are OSPFv3 and IS-IS for a dual-stack environment, right?  

I've noticed a lot of people talking about IS-IS lately.

I played around with it a bit using GNS3 and found it pretty easy to set up once I figured out that you had to set a unique OSI NSAP on each router for it to communicate and identify itself to other routers.  Once that was set up, all I really had to do was turn on IS-IS on each interface (here's a snippet):

interface Serial0/0
bandwidth 64
ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.252
ip router isis
ipv6 address 2001:DB8:10::1/127
ipv6 router isis

router isis
net 49.0001.0100.0100.1001.00
metric-style wide
log-adjacency-changes
default-information originate

(yes I was playing with /127s for serial p-t-p interfaces)

The NSAP is the "49.0001.0100.0100.1001.00" part (google NSAP if curious).

The neat thing is that IS-IS can carry data for both IP and IPv6 in a rather transparent manner.  You just set up the router section, then tell it to route ip and ipv6 with the "ip/ipv6 router isis" statements on each interface.

SomeJoe7777

I'm currently running dual-stack in a small WAN network involving 4 routers.  I'm using OSPF v2 for IPv4 IGP, and OSPF v3 for IPv6 IGP.  It seems to work rather well.

I've always preferred OSPF over IS-IS, but that's probably just personal preference because I've dealt with OSPF for many years and I know how it works.

jimb

Yeh I set up a OSPFv2/v3 experiment also.  Was pretty simple to set up one I figured out that you have to use "ipv6 router" statements to set it up per interface rather than a normal "router" section with network statements.  Although "default-information originate" is done in a ipv6 router section.