• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

I have an ipv6 tunnel, now what?

Started by imatlee, May 28, 2011, 06:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imatlee

I think I have a working ipv6 setup now (still working on the certification stuff - having some issues getting apache to answer..), but my brother and I are able to ping back and forth, I can ping ipv6.google.com, I can see my own IP through HE's looking glass, etc.

So my setup is a bit of a mess.  My ISP provided me with a wireless router that is pretty limited in what I can do..  I can't change DNS or DHCP settings, firewall controls are limited, and so on.  So my ipv6 tunnel terminates on a Debian linux box that sits behind the ISPs router/firewall.

On the same internal network, there are 3 Windows 7 computers and 1 Ubuntu laptop.

Is it possible to have my Debian box hand out ipv6 addresses from the pool that HE assigned me?  I would then want to route ipv6 traffic to my linux box, then out the tunnel..  so is there a mechanism to hand out network configuration information (similar to dhcp)?  I thought this was part of ipv6, but I'm pretty green with this.

Thanks in advance!

jgeorge

If your weird little router allows the Debian box to create a working tunnel, then you can totally make this setup work for you. :-)

The Debian host, sitting on your IPv6 network behind the router, can hand out IPv6 addresses to anyone else on the network that goes looking for one. This auto-configuration is one of the things that makes IPv6 really simple to expand, once you get the initial tunnel setup out of the way.

Basically what you need to do at this point is turn on radvd (router advertisement daemon) and most likely set up some IPv6 firewall rules on the Debian box - IPv6, being an entirely separate protocol from IPv4, means that unless you actually set some firewall rules, your connected machines will all be completely exposed to the internet when they come online.

I don't know Debian well, but this web page looks like it's got a bunch of useful information: http://fermiparadox.wordpress.com/2007/02/04/configuring-an-ipv6-gateway-with-debian/

From where you sit right now I'd start looking about the point where it says "To use this gateway in your home network as a router, you need to enable forwarding:" and go from there - everything above that is info on how to set up and configure your tunnel, which it sounds like you've already nailed, so go from there.

Cheers,

Joe

cholzhauer

Is it possible to have my Debian box hand out ipv6 addresses from the pool that HE assigned me?  I would then want to route ipv6 traffic to my linux box, then out the tunnel..  so is there a mechanism to hand out network configuration information (similar to dhcp)?  I thought this was part of ipv6, but I'm pretty green with this.

Like jgeorge said, you can do RA.  However, depending on what information you want to use, you may also need to use DHCP.