• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

To pass the test for professional (Your MX does not appear to have working RDNS)

Started by mattsum, June 07, 2011, 08:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattsum

Hi,
Some silly questions regarding my attempt to pass the professional test (again)

Steps I've done so far:-

1. I've pass the RDNS check before using DynDNS + IPv6 Tunnel by HE, but then get stuck so I reset to the explorer level, acquire a domain pwms.info from godaddy.com

2. I've parked the pwms.info to nameserver of HE and using their FreeDNS

3. Using tunnel provided by using gogoClient on a win7, and logged IPv6 address in HE FreeDNS but seems not working.  Switch back to HE tunnel IPv6 address

now my questions is do I need to have my mail server turned on in order to be success in the MX RDNS check or
just let the nameserver of HE propagate the DNS info for few hours then re-attempt the professional test again?

Many thanks for help in advance.

Matt

cholzhauer

now my questions is do I need to have my mail server turned on in order to be success in the MX RDNS check or
just let the nameserver of HE propagate the DNS info for few hours then re-attempt the professional test again?

IF the test is just testing for the RDNS record, your mail server doesn't need to be on.  IIRC, there's only one test where your email server actually has to be on.

mattsum

Thanks but what if I changed the IPv6 address in the FreeDNS after passed the mail server checking test?  Will the test "remember" the IPv6 address or it will query again for the MX then the IPv6 address?

For normally how long will the DNS propagate to the server that the test use for?  Because I get the result as below but still fail the test

~ $ dig pwms.info mx |egrep -v '^(;|$)'
pwms.info.      1762   IN   MX   10 pwms.info.
~ $ dig pwms.info AAAA |egrep -v '^(;|$)'
pwms.info.      1733   IN   AAAA   2001:470:19:9ce::1
~ $ dig -x 2001:470:19:9ce::1 |egrep -v '^(;|$)'
1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.e.c.9.0.9.1.0.0.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa. 1800 IN PTR pwms.info.
~ $ host pwms.info
pwms.info has IPv6 address 2001:470:19:9ce::1
pwms.info mail is handled by 10 pwms.info.
~ $ host 2001:470:19:9ce::1
1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.e.c.9.0.9.1.0.0.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa domain name pointer pwms.info.

cholzhauer

I think it'll query again.

What's your TTL set to?  I get the same results you do when I query the reverse lookup.  I'd give it a day...if it's still not working email ipv6@he.net...they just have to kick the cache sometimes.

mattsum

mattsum

Done, it takes about an hour to get things updated...now a Sage!

;D

THANKS!

rfc2460

What happened to me is another different problem.
When I registered, I was required to supply two email addresses.
One is "IPv6 capable address"; the other is the contact address.
Actually all my servers are IPv6 capable, so I simply supplied two of my email addresses, and see what would happen. When I got stuck at the professional test, I consulted the HE Help Desk and figured out that,

1. The certification script will try to look up the MX record of your "IPv6 capable address", instead of the contact address shown on your info page.  If that host has no MX record, the test failed even if it has both A and AAAA records.
2. It will then look up the AAAA record of the host specified in the MX record.
3. It will then look up the PTR record of the IPv6 address.

If one of the above steps fails, the script displays "Your MX does not appear to have working RDNS".
Therefore, I thought it might be more useful if the script can clearly describe at which step it fails.

Solomon