• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

How to setup tunnel from host behind a IPv4 NAT device?

Started by tvanginneken, June 01, 2011, 01:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvanginneken

I am on an private network (192.168....) and connect to the Internet with an IPv4 NAT device. The NAT device cannot be pinged from the outside (not configurable apparently). How do I create a new tunnel in order to get IPv6 connectivity form my IPv4/IPv6 host?

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Tom

jgeorge

When you define the tunnel on TunnelBroker, use the public IP address that your NAT device has (that's the IP address that the tunnel is going to look for and need to be able to ping). However, when you actually issue the commands on your machine to set up the tunnel from behind the NAT device, use your private (192.168.1.x) IP address as the sourcve IP for the tunnel - it'll all work out in the wash.

You will beed to be able to ping your public IP address of your NAT device in order to set up a tunnel, though, that could be a sticky issue. What kind of device is it? If it's configurable someone here likely knows how to do it.

Cheers,

kpe

tvanginneken

Hi,

I managed to make the NAT device pingable :-)  The tunnel is working fine now.

Thanks.

Regards,
Tom

whatsit

Unfortunately, I ran the script without changing to my local address (192...) and now it won't let me change it.
QuoteYou were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. If joinin
g a domain, go to System in Control Panel to change the computer name and try ag
ain. If joining a workgroup, choose another workgroup name.

I'm not sure where to go from here

fgdn17

Quote from: whatsit on June 09, 2011, 08:14:10 AM
Unfortunately, I ran the script without changing to my local address (192...) and now it won't let me change it.
QuoteYou were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. If joinin
g a domain, go to System in Control Panel to change the computer name and try ag
ain. If joining a workgroup, choose another workgroup name.

I'm not sure where to go from here

netsh interface ipv6 delete interface IP6Tunnel

then start over...