• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Cisco/Linksys E4200 Native firmware - IPv6 - 6rd

Started by michaelm4936, June 27, 2011, 07:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelm4936

FYI,
Just installed the latest IOS upgrade for my Cisco/Linksys E4200. Cisco has release the native IPv6 functionality for the router. Wanted to share info incase someone was looking how to setup without using an opensource firmware. Included pictures incase anyone wants a view.

Settings that I used that worked.
IPv6 Automatic= Disable
6rd Tunnel= Manual
Prefix = Client IPv6 Address (Example: 2001:470:c:fff::2)
Prefix Length= 64
Border Relay=  Server IPv4 Address (example LA 66.220.18.42)
IPv4 Address Mask= 32

jimb

Hrm.  I should check to see if my WRT-610 N has IPv6 stuff now.  Although it'd be a bit moot for me since I only use it as a L2 access point.

wraithbone

i tested the settings on my E4200. - worked!

Though i used the Routed IPv6 Prefixes. NOT the Client IPv6 Address.

Thanks for this info though!

nbarsotti

Just to be explicit, Did you got your e4200 to work with the Hurricane Electric tunnel service, or is that another service?  Which hardware version e4200 do you have, v1 or v2?

cconn

wait a second....

this works?  HE is giving free 6RD service?!  I don't see how this works since they are assigning space out of 2001:470::/32 for their tunnelbrokering service, and an entire /32 is required to cover IPv4 address space.

I am going to try this  ???

cconn

Halberdier

It worked all the same on my E900; I guess the firmware for the entire LinkSys E-series is the same, or very similar at least.

After entering the parameters as indicated by michaelm4936, you have to go under the "Status" page, and click "connect" aside of the IPv6 connection information: after a while it should state "connected", otherwise "undetermined" if it fails.

My provider assigns the public IPv4 address dynamically and I had the impression that setting up the tunnel on the router causes it to be updated, thus I had to follow the instructions for dynamic IPv4 as described in the FAQ. I used the second option listed here: http://ipv4.tunnelbroker.net/ipv4_end.php.

timbaldwin

Quote from: cconn on April 11, 2012, 08:48:54 AM
this works?  HE is giving free 6RD service?!  I don't see how this works since they are assigning space out of 2001:470::/32 for their tunnelbrokering service, and an entire /32 is required to cover IPv4 address space.

IPv4MaskLen=32 means there is only one IPv4 address in the 6rd domain; 6rd with IPv4MaskLen=32 is 6in4.

cconn

Quote from: timbaldwin on July 20, 2012, 09:55:16 AM
Quote from: cconn on April 11, 2012, 08:48:54 AM

IPv4MaskLen=32 means there is only one IPv4 address in the 6rd domain; 6rd with IPv4MaskLen=32 is 6in4.

I know what it is.  But what I am saying is that to do 6RD, you need to dedicate a /32 in order to do so.  They are offerring tunnelbroker services in 2001:470::/32, therefore they cannot be also using that prefix for 6RD.

vanhelsing1616

eagle8762

:)

Confirmed working on a Linksys N300/Cisco E-1200.

BTW, the screen shots in the OP are identical to my firmware.  That said I would believe that the firmwares across the entire E series are the same based on other posts.

nickbeee

I have just configured a E2500 successfully after updating it to firmware version 1.0.07. Not very intuitive to set up so thanks to you guys for sharing this.

As suggested above, I've used and address from the routed /64 for the prefix and the ipv4 address of the POP in the border relay setting. I also unchecked filter anonymous internet requests to respond to ICMPv4 echo on the WAN side (required to confirm the IPv4 of your tunnel endpoint). The IPv6 firewall configuration is a bit sparse though, I need to figure out how to allow it to pass ICMP6.

Nick B.

Tunnelling with [Open|Net|Free]BSD and IOS.
IPv6 courtesy of   HE and   Sixxs.

UpMaSh

Anyone using Cogeco and a E4200v2 router have been able to get the tunnel to work. My router just keeps getting undetermined,

Connection Type:     6rd Tunnel   

6rd Tunnel:    Undetermined

Is it a problem on cogeco or is my router just messed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have configured it as suggested above with the server IP as the Border relay with netmask 32 and the Routed IPv6 Prefix given by HE with prefix length of 64. Did I miss something?

shak85

Sorry to bump this old thread but i'm thinking of getting a Linksys E900 which has ipv6 support .

Does the above guide still work with HE Tunnel Broker? Does it automatically assign ipv6 address on each connected device ?

Thanks for your help!

nickbeee

Quote from: shak85 on October 08, 2014, 02:49:51 AM
Sorry to bump this old thread but i'm thinking of getting a Linksys E900 which has ipv6 support .

Does the above guide still work with HE Tunnel Broker? Does it automatically assign ipv6 address on each connected device ?

The E2500 I configured as above is still working with HE. You'd have to check the configuration options on the Linksys are still the same.

HTH,
Nick B.

Tunnelling with [Open|Net|Free]BSD and IOS.
IPv6 courtesy of   HE and   Sixxs.