• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Windows 98 + IPv6 anybody ?

Started by Ninho, January 27, 2010, 12:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninho

Hi, Mates! I wonder if anyone has had a chance to experiment with IPv6 on Windows 95/98 in the past ?
I'm aware there was a Trumpet winsock sort of a v6 stack that was presumably trialware, maybe it's still downloadable from wome place (the original site is no longer online and the web archive could not find the package).

Were there other attempts than Trumpet's ?

Don't take it too seriously though, but I'm open to trying it on my Windows 98 SE if I can find such an exotic beast. I guess they might be seriously outdated if they work at all, who knows...

In a similar vein, does someone know of a TCP/IPv6 or dual stack for DOS ?

kriteknetworks

Good luck. I couldn't even find an IPv6 stack for an NT 4 vm I have.

snarked

Nor could I find an IPv6 stack for Windows ME or 2000.  Suppsoedly, Windows NT 5 can be backfitted.

I guess no one really knows how many people are using these older OS GUIs.

Ninho

Quote from: snarked on January 27, 2010, 12:21:05 PM
Nor could I find an IPv6 stack for Windows ME or 2000. 

ME is in the 95/98 class. Win 2k on the other hand, I'm using IPv6 over it all the time and it works very well. If you're interested search for something called "IPv6 technology preview". It's still on MS servers somewhere (MSDN?) - alternatively, I think I took my copy from Sixxs or was it Go6/gogonet (I don't think I remember it was  available from our here host HE/tunnelbroker, BICBW)

The MS stack is fully featured - as the name says it was a "preview" of what was to be delivered with Windows XP. The only significant missing thing is encryption (IPSEC /is/ present, but it can't encrypt. It may or may not matter to you...)

gnarlymarley

I have windows 95 and windows 98 working successfully with IPv6, however, it is only the browser with a proxy server that works on IPv6.  I am using squid as both a transparent and a non-transparent proxy server.  The proxy server needs to be dual stack.