• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Help setting up DIR-825 and HE

Started by Robear, June 17, 2011, 02:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robear

Been trying to figure out how to get passed the configuration and ICMP scan. I have put port 41 into the routers virtual server, port forwarding and still getting IP is not ICMP pingable. "Please make sure ICMP is not blocked. If you are blocking ICMP, please allow 66.220.2.74 through your firewall." message.
Should I configure HE and a PC directly to the ISP modem first then put the DIR back in the loop?

I'm running Windows 7x64
DIR-825 v2.05 FW.
Cableone Internet (50Mb/2Mb)

Please let me know if there is already step by step instructions for this router. Thank you.

mattwilson9090

First, have you already created your tunnel. If not, that really is your first concern.

Second, does your router have some sort of setting to allow it to be pinged from the internet? Many consumer routers do, but I don't know that model. If it does, allow it long enough to create tunnel via HE's web interface, then you can turn it off again. At least if or until your IP address changes. If it doesn't allow it, you might be able to establish the tunnel by directly connecting a computer to your modem, but when you reconnect the router, the IP address might change on you, which would make the whole exercise moot.

Third, you need to be concerned with *protocol* 41, not *port* 41. That may not be an issue for you however, since your router may open up that protocol via NAT after something sends out a message.
Matt Wilson

MrStafford

At least to get past the ICMP scan, I figured this one out.

DIR-825 (Rev B - firmware 2.05NA)

First setup the HE (IPv4) address as a valid address for a filter (so we don't open up the ICMP hole to the whole world)
"Advanced" "Inbound Filter"
In "Add Inbound Filter Rule" supply a name (I used 'ipv6icmpinbound'), "allow", fill in the first checkbox (enable) and type in HE's IP address in both the "Remote IP Start" and "Remote IP End" - click Update

Now allow the router to respond to Pings
"Advanced" "Advanced Network"
Check "Enable WAN Ping Respond"
in the drop down for "Wan Ping Inbound Filter" select the inbound filter rule name you created above - click "Save Settings"

You should now be able to pass the HE "ICMP ping/scan"