• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

IPv6 - IPv6 'tunnel' is it possible?

Started by MikeHeylove, September 14, 2011, 05:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHeylove

I'm having my new internet connection next week, and it's native IPv6 only, but my ISP won't assign me a prefix.
Can I use the tunnel service with a (dynamic) native IPv6 connection and have a prefix, or can I only use it with an IPv4 address?

Rgds,
Mike

cholzhauer

I would be surprised if your ISP is only assigning you an IPv6 address; unless they're doing some sort of 6to4 or other type of transition technology, you're getting screwed.

That being said, to use a tunnel from HE, you need an IPv4 address

broquea

The tunnel is 6in4, not 6in6. It requires you have an IPv4 endpoint, not IPv6.

cholzhauer

kasperd

An "ISP" that does not hand out public IPv4 addresses to the customers is not all that unlikely. They could be handing out RFC1918 addresses and use CGN. There is even some mobile operators that say they will be going IPv6 only for future clients and use NAT64 to give those users access to IPv4 servers.

In any of those setups you'll probably have a hard time getting a tunnelbroker.net tunnel working.

Running IPv6 tunnels over IPv6 is certainly possible, but I don't think tunnelbroker.net supports that. You might have a better chance with a sixxs.net tunnel. Signing up for the service at sixxs.net is much more complicated than signing up with tunnelbroker.net, but once you are signed up with sixxs.net they offer a larger variety of tunnels than tunnelbroker.net.

That said if your ISP doesn't give you a public IPv4 address and they won't route a /60 or shorter IPv6 prefix to you, then I would take that as a sign they really don't want to be an ISP and you should look into buying service somewhere else.

broquea

The tunnel varieties they offer are still delivering IPv6 over IPv4, just with a client for NAT penetration. I haven't seen anyone out there offering IPv6 over IPv6 tunnels, or IPv4 over IPv6. I can already think of what the commands would look like on Cisco/Linux/BSD, and shouldn't be hard to do, but since everyone is primarily IPv4, it doesn't really exist in the mainstream yet.

What would YOU pay for a 4in6 service to reach the bits of IPv4 Internet not on IPv6 yet from an IPv6 only network?

cholzhauer

I think the answer to that is you wouldn't pay any more for an isp that does ipv6 only than you would for an isp that's ipv4 only

broquea

Quote from: cholzhauer on September 16, 2011, 03:26:55 PM
I think the answer to that is you wouldn't pay any more for an isp that does ipv6 only than you would for an isp that's ipv4 only

It was more of a reference to a service outside of your ISP, like....a...broker...of tunnels?
* broquea flips the bit and sells 4in6, retires.

jgeorge

Quote from: broquea on September 16, 2011, 03:31:31 PM
It was more of a reference to a service outside of your ISP, like....a...broker...of tunnels?

Dude that's a GREAT idea. You should get on that. :)

Joe

snarked

Linux does support IPv6 in IPv6, so it's possible.  Availability is another question.

MikeHeylove

Well, have had my Broad Band connection put in now, and surprise surprise, NO IPv6 connection despite this is what did convince me to change, and that is what I was promised. I can tell their equipment is not even ready for IPv6, so just a lot of bumf from a sale person, that they couldn't deliver. Shame on you ISP:-(
On a positive note, then I can use HE for a tunnel instead:-))